The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Woolly? I'm new to the breed and haven't learned everything yet. I was getting pretty good at speckled sussex before a dog killed my roo. So I sold off all the hens and picked a new breed. I was going to do croad langshans, then this hona pair practically fell into my lap. I recently got another 7 chicks, same farms for parent stock but different breeders.

Do you have a sop? The breeder with the pair said there isn't one... She gave me choice of pullet and choice of cockerel, so I tried to choose body type that I found most pleasing.
Woolly is the Swedish term for silkied. It is a natural variant in the Svarthöna population. Some of the GFF line carry it. It is the same gene as the silky gene but is not a result of a cross unless it was a long, long way back in the evolution of the breed. The woolly gene in the Hedemora is the same.

I don't know if there is an SOP for the breed other than everything being as black as possible. I did recently find out though, that there are 2 varieties of Svarthöna in Sweden - the landrace (likely what we have in this country) and the Exhibition. I am trying to find out more about the Exhibition Svarthöna now, but my Swedish source just had a baby a couple of days ago, so he is a little busy with other things at the moment. I'll pass on any information that I find out. I am guessing that the Exhibition Svarthöna are just a line that has been selectively bred from the landrace to be consistently solid black inside and out. Perhaps it is bigger, too. I am just guessing at this point.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1074649/the-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/930#post_16451095 layout=inline]Woolly? I'm new to the breed and haven't learned everything yet. I was getting pretty good at speckled sussex before a dog killed my roo. So I sold off all the hens and picked a new breed. I was going to do croad langshans, then this hona pair practically fell into my lap. I recently got another 7 chicks, same farms for parent stock but different breeders.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Do you have a sop? The breeder with the pair said there isn't one... She gave me choice of pullet and choice of cockerel, so I tried to choose body type that I found most pleasing.

Woolly is the Swedish term for silkied. It is a natural variant in the [COLOR=333333]Svarthöna population. Some of the GFF line carry it. It is the same gene as the silky gene but is not a result of a cross unless it was a long, long way back in the evolution of the breed. The woolly gene in the Hedemora is the same.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I don't know if there is an SOP for the breed other than everything being as black as possible. I did recently find out though, that there are 2 varieties of Svarthöna in Sweden - the landrace (likely what we have in this country) and the Exhibition. I am trying to find out more about the Exhibition Svarthöna now, but my Swedish source just had a baby a couple of days ago, so he is a little busy with other things at the moment. I'll pass on any information that I find out. I am guessing that the Exhibition Svarthöna are just a line that has been selectively bred from the landrace to be consistently solid black inside and out. Perhaps it is bigger, too. I am just guessing at this point.[/COLOR]

Thanks! Do you have pics of the woolly? My cockerel has a mulberry comb. Another roo from his hatch had silver hackles. The breeder said they only showed up after the juvie molt, which is why I'm not selling anything until much later. I'm going to have to do some heavy culling first, I think. Only one of the chicks is black inside the mouth.

Overall I think I have a good start. Both breeders had stock from a crossing of GFF and ewecrazy farms.

Im in!!
yippiechickie.gif

Lol... Good thing I am on an online school, so more BYC time... Oh so I have a quick story for all of you, so one of the school "coaches" or "advisors" that are our people that help us with school. Her daughter, Willow, is very mean in most people eyes, since she hates most people... So yesterday me, and some of my friends were at the restaurant we meet at, just talking, and I was helping out a young lady with some history since it's a pain... And the coaches call on me to help... Willows mom came over and said if it were old times and I chose who my daughter would marry, It would be you... Since you both LOVE your chickens, and plus your a child genius, yet I am not, I just pay attention... It made me cringe SOOO badly, and my friends started to chuckle... Since they know willow would probably beat me up, since that's how she is, but not around me... So fun times...

Nate there is usually a reason, in her mind anyway, for people to be that angry and hateful all the time. She may be dealing with issues at home or she feels unattractive and thinks she should be mean to everyone BEFORE they're mean to her. Using your common love of chickens would maybe allow you to get to know a little about her and why she's so angry. And there's the chance that she's just really spoiled and thinks her stuff don't stink. lol In that case stay FAR away.

Back
Top Bottom