The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

:frow

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Woolly is the Swedish term for silkied. It is a natural variant in the Svarthöna population. Some of the GFF line carry it. It is the same gene as the silky gene but is not a result of a cross unless it was a long, long way back in the evolution of the breed. The woolly gene in the Hedemora is the same.

I don't know if there is an SOP for the breed other than everything being as black as possible. I did recently find out though, that there are 2 varieties of Svarthöna in Sweden - the landrace (likely what we have in this country) and the Exhibition. I am trying to find out more about the Exhibition Svarthöna now, but my Swedish source just had a baby a couple of days ago, so he is a little busy with other things at the moment. I'll pass on any information that I find out. I am guessing that the Exhibition Svarthöna are just a line that has been selectively bred from the landrace to be consistently solid black inside and out. Perhaps it is bigger, too. I am just guessing at this point.

3. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Thanks! Do you have pics of the woolly? My cockerel has a mulberry comb. Another roo from his hatch had silver hackles. The breeder said they only showed up after the juvie molt, which is why I'm not selling anything until much later. I'm going to have to do some heavy culling first, I think. Only one of the chicks is black inside the mouth.

Overall I think I have a good start. Both breeders had stock from a crossing of GFF and ewecrazy farms.

4. slceisner

slceisner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    New York
    Im in!![​IMG]

5. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    My pair
    [​IMG]

The chicks.
    [​IMG]

6. wicket 07

wicket 07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    Mississippi
    Good Morning from Mississippi . I also need a sign[​IMG]

7. LadyCluck77

LadyCluck77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine
    Good Morning Everyone!
    It's still January, but Easter is coming
    [​IMG]
    coming for you....

8. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Nate there is usually a reason, in her mind anyway, for people to be that angry and hateful all the time. She may be dealing with issues at home or she feels unattractive and thinks she should be mean to everyone BEFORE they're mean to her. Using your common love of chickens would maybe allow you to get to know a little about her and why she's so angry. And there's the chance that she's just really spoiled and thinks her stuff don't stink. lol In that case stay FAR away.

1 person likes this.
  9. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    OK! That's it ! That's 3. You and i and Nate. We'll just go ahead and take them now and save everyone the anticipation stress. Right ?

10. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    That's just creepy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by