The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. wicket 07

wicket 07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    Mississippi
    Right!!!

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA

Congrats! [​IMG] I love the sight of newly hatched chicks in the morning.

Welcome! [​IMG]

Amazing! I love rare breeds.

3. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Nate the Great, I understand your trepidation. You may not know this yet but what you are observing is the fall out you get when both parents HAVE to work to maintain what ever there status level is. The parents are working full time and are so exhausted by doing the work of more than one person they don't have any energy for their children. The children become strange like that because there main role models (their parents) are acting strange and disassociated. As a young woman in my teens and twenties (I am 50+) I was very adamant about women having the right to choose to work even if they have kids. What experience taught me is that at least one parent needs to only work part time to the other parents full time. Try to do more than that and the children suffer as well as the parents.(Of course if you are a single parent you have no choice.) If you are working out of your home that is not so bad. The important thing is to be there when you are needed to teach an important Life lesson. Shoving the parenting off on teachers and babysitters is a poor substitute. Children feel unwanted and tend to act out in ways like you fear (wanton crushing of chicks). They are sad and angry but the consequences of showing that to adults is too much so they take it out on the helpless.

This is what happens to people when you steal their hope. I bet if you could get an answer from them you would find that none of them expect to live past their mid-twenties. My two second cousins didn't. They are now 30 and 28 and have with great difficulty pulled their lives together. But for many years they were punks because they had no hope. And even though I was right next door I didn't see what the heart of the problem was. The youngest one was 23 when he told me that he really hadn't expected to live that long.

We have to be the Change. All of us who still have Hope for this Life have to show it to those who have lost their way.

If you ever decide to risk a baby chick, do it to an audience of one. This way if their masks slip they are not as likely to be afraid and do something ugly out of fear.

4 people like this.
  4. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    x2

Although, it reminds me of high school. We had a joker at school named Corey. He was African American (this is important for the story to be funny). Just after the 5th element came out, he got ahold of one of those bunny suits. He wore the thing to a basketball game. During half-time, he put on a show for people. The funniest moment was when he suddenly jumped, looked scared, and said, "I see white people"

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Congrats good luck with the rest!
    are you intending to breed them or sell them?? I am still researching this pullet egg stuff, I ran out of time last night and it got pretty chaotic. I think the abstracts go by egg size and not really when they started to lay so using those for reasoning just makes no reason [​IMG] But we do know, there are issues later on with growth. So its up to you, if it was me and I would set them and sell them as pullet egg chicks so the buyer is aware.
    Good Morning!!
    [​IMG] do you have an idea of what breeds your planning?
    I don't know if I'll be selling anything for awhile. I was wanting to test fertility and incubating is the FUN way. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] I got a kick out of this. There is always ...one of those. But, my guess is, she will turn out to be one of the nicest folks in town some day. Just watch. She has to be, she loves chickens!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by