The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    @Fire Ant Farm the honas are new to me, so no word on the heat. They're really small, practically bantam size, so I figure they'll do fine.

1 person likes this.
  2. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Good morning everyone!!!!!

3. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Along with whatever BYM i pull out of my coop I am hoping to get my English Orpington eggs from Hog Creek Ranch in time to set those too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    I'll join.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pretty hens!

[​IMG]

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    are you intending to breed them or sell them?? I am still researching this pullet egg stuff, I ran out of time last night and it got pretty chaotic. I think the abstracts go by egg size and not really when they started to lay so using those for reasoning just makes no reason [​IMG] But we do know, there are issues later on with growth. So its up to you, if it was me and I would set them and sell them as pullet egg chicks so the buyer is aware.

Good Morning!!

[​IMG] do you have an idea of what breeds your planning?

7. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Well, 15 hatched overnight, and there's another 10 or so pips, so my hatch is finally underway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how the tray looks when its in the bator

[​IMG]

8. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I have successfully hatched my Svarthönas' first eggs. At the time I was too scared something would happen to them and I wasn't taking any chances. That was about a year ago when the price for them was still very high. One of the pullets from a very first egg has a mild crossbeak but gets along fine in my layer group. The others didn't have any issues that I can remember. I would go ahead and set them if for no other reason than to check fertility and hatchability. Svarthönas can be difficult to hatch at times, so checking the latter is just as important as the former. JMHO. Good luck!

9. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I don't know if I'll be selling anything for awhile. I was wanting to test fertility and incubating is the FUN way. :D

10. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Thanks!! I've been looking for someone who has hatched them before. :celebrate

Do you happen to remember the egg size? Her first was 36 grams. I haven't weighed the other two but if they're any bigger it's not by much. Did they eventually lay daily? Lagertha is still every other day. It's fine, but hard to gather an ideal clutch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by