The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I'm ready I think "Now Where did I put that dang thermometer!!!!!" Give me a little bit to find it just had that dang thing and put a new battery in it!!! Need that to calibrate!!!! OMG !!!!

Ive got some last minute eggs that I got for a really good price and they where local and pretty, so I am happy about that! Hopefully I can get these to hatch!

I've got 3 jersey Giants, which are BIG!
3 f2 olive eggers
1 f3 olive egger, but is a maran egg?
2 Chocolate orpington eggs
2 Blue eggs, Either lavender Ameracauna, or Cream legbar
1 golden cuckoo maran egg, Which is a decent color
For a total of 12 eggs!

How can an F3 OE come from a Marans egg? I'm trying to work this out in my head, but it's Friday and that makes it hard!
tongue.png
I feel like only an F1 OE can come from a Marans egg... I drew it out because I need a visual aid and I guess that makes sense... if the father (roo) is an F2 OE and he's crossed with a Marans hen then the egg will be brown but the resulting chick will still be an OE. Amiright?

I have one OE hen. She is an F2. So her grandparents (so to speak) were an EE hen crossed with an FBCM roo. The resulting hen of that pairing was crossed again with an FBCM roo, which produced my OE, Widow. She's been crossed with yet another FBCM roo. I've got 1 of her eggs in the bator, so I'm hoping for an F3 hen!

I couldn't wait til tomorrow so set most of mine, will collect todays eggs and set them tomorrow. I'll post the total then. My first batch of eggs from the project chickens is due to hatch in 5 days! So excited to see what they look like - and if the right roo is the father
roll.png

GREAT!!! I'm glad you got some!!

So am I!!

How can an F3 OE come from a Marans egg? I'm trying to work this out in my head, but it's Friday and that makes it hard! :p  I feel like only an F1 OE can come from a Marans egg... I drew it out because I need a visual aid and I guess that makes sense... if the father (roo) is an F2 OE and he's crossed with a Marans hen then the egg will be brown but the resulting chick will still be an OE. Amiright?

I have one OE hen. She is an F2. So her grandparents (so to speak) were an EE hen crossed with an FBCM roo. The resulting hen of that pairing was crossed again with an FBCM roo, which produced my OE, Widow. She's been crossed with yet another FBCM roo. I've got 1 of her eggs in the bator, so I'm hoping for an F3 hen! 

I think so? I don't know for sure, i am just going with what the eggs are marked with. Guess we will see in a few weeks!

How can an F3 OE come from a Marans egg? I'm trying to work this out in my head, but it's Friday and that makes it hard!
tongue.png
I feel like only an F1 OE can come from a Marans egg... I drew it out because I need a visual aid and I guess that makes sense... if the father (roo) is an F2 OE and he's crossed with a Marans hen then the egg will be brown but the resulting chick will still be an OE. Amiright?

It is more likely to be F2, bred back to parent 1 or 2, whichever parent was the marans.

Back
Top Bottom