The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I have two little Nn's. :) Went ahead and assisted the one that had been pipped for a while..the membrane started drying out pretty quick after a while, and baby wasn't peeping as much. Glad I did. It's a happy baby now. :) It was laying all along the side of the egg..belly up..everything, from head to toes! Those little feet were just sticking straight up. Glad the legs look good. No taping needed.

Thanks, guys! It is quite the honor to win, thanks to the wonderful people who put on the HAL and contests every year, you guys are amazing!!

Candled eggs tonight, 55 out of 63 are still kicking!

Most of mine went into lockdown last night, I do have one internal pip, which obviously is not going to count for the hatch along. Most of them probably will though!

Most of mine went into lockdown last night, I do have one internal pip, which obviously is not going to count for the hatch along. Most of them probably will though!

When did you set them? If they were set on the 25th,26th,27th,23rd,24th, I don't think it matters when they hatch for them to count towards the total of chicks hatched.

When did you set them? If they were set on the 25th,26th,27th,23rd,24th, I don't think it matters when they hatch for them to count towards the total of chicks hatched.

they where set the 23rd (most of them) I set them knowing that because of different conditions during incubation and age of eggs they where most likely going to be hatching a day or two late. there probably will be a couple of chicks that will hatch too early. I do have about 3 eggs due on friday so there is a possibility they will be hatching for the hatch along

I had to take a double take, lol
hide.gif

( I posted that pic a couple yrs ago when I ordered langshans from SandHill... someone says, "they ARE plums"....)

I really don't think they lay purple, any of them. And as far as I know the Langshans in the US came from Croads. Been on a couple good breeders websites of Lanshan, and they do not want you to even ask about purple eggs, must be they get it a lot.

I just googled that pic came up Croad Langshan Australia, as a famous myth of their "plum colored" or "purple egg"

"From the Croad Langshan Club Newsletter July 2013 (GB)
Egg colour madness

The club is frequently contacted by people wanting to buy a single hen ‘to lay purple eggs as I already have blue, brown and white’. I don’t know how to stop this – I see that some of the USA sites and forums have this nonsense about purple eggs, but no-one ever claims to have seen one! Probably this has become a distorted version of the ‘plum bloom’ on the Croad Langshan egg. This then gets reported as 'plum’, and then ‘purple’."​

I think this sums the theory or myth of purple eggs, a 'plum bloom' any ole chicken egg can have it, the whitish dusting or film that washes off, just like on a plum. Also they mention European chickens at the time laid white eggs, so variety, brown etc. was uncommon I guess.

"Here is what Miss A.C. Croad, who originally developed the breed, has to say in her book “The Langshan fowl; its history and characteristics with some comments on its early opponents” p. 67 (1889).

"the Langshan seems to defy all set rules in this respect, and indulges in a charming variety; the tints are varied from the palest salmon to the darkest chestnut brown. On some there is a bloom like that on freshly-gathered fruit"

I just had a shock checking the bator, ZIPS!
nope, just the pencil marks I put on them yesterday on a few to reference air cell size
lol.png

My heart stopped, dang I wasn't ready for that. Almost less stressful waiting for human babies Lol!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom