The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Well I candled last night, 10 out of 12 of the araucana eggs look good, not sure about other two, only 3 of the 6 buff orpington are developing -due to poor packaging I think and 4 out of the 8 home flock eggs look good (struggled to find good eggs). Fingers crossed for good hatches everyone.

Well I candled last night, 10 out of 12 of the araucana eggs look good, not sure about other two, only 3 of the 6 buff orpington are developing -due to poor packaging I think and 4 out of the 8 home flock eggs look good (struggled to find good eggs). Fingers crossed for good hatches everyone.
Awesome for the good eggs, sorry about the Buff Orps.... I haven't candled yet. I like to be surprised closer to hatch day.....

I see an egg got smashed in one of the broody nests. I'm not sure if it was one I set. I'll have to count tomorrow.
I was gone on Tuesday and today and I see I've got 6 broody hens now instead of just 3...despite the eggs being picked by my son.
th.gif
I'm glad I'll be home tomorrow to get things straightened out...lol.

We had an all day road trip to pick up a piece of machinery...and I made the most of it. (insert evil laugh)
wink.png
I made last minute arrangements last night to buy 2 dozen hatching eggs from someone 2.5 hours away. I met the most lovely man who not only met us, to my surprise brought 33 eggs he had collected for himself...just so I'd have extras. Wow!

@ronott1 I think it was you who mentioned dipping eggs in a weak bleach solution before setting them? If so...could you post the solution for those of us who may wish to use it for hatching eggs that have been purchased. (Unless I missed it)
hide.gif

More coops is always good!  I just convinced my neighbor to let me take the two trashy old camper shells from his land and bring them to mine.  Mission: make them into coops.  Tear out interior, paint exterior, and hey-presto: two new coops complete with ventilation!!

Nice! I could use two new coops about right now. Lol

The first chick from my Pinecomb project hatched! It's a girl! Father is my Cinnamon Legbar project roo, the mom is a Barnevelder

Did you vent sex it, or is it sex-linked?

Nice! I could use two new coops about right now. Lol
Did you vent sex it, or is it sex-linked?

Sex-linked. 2 more chocolate (female) chicks hatched, 1 male and 1 that I'm stumped on. Is not chocolate but looks like she/he only has one copy of the barring gene.

Question, can you tell if a rooster is double or single barred? I was so sure that mine was double barred... but the only other option would be if my pure CCL roo is the father. She did escape outside where he is so it's possible, but he's usually scared of the hens - thinx he's a dux
roll.png

I see an egg got smashed in one of the broody nests. I'm not sure if it was one I set. I'll have to count tomorrow.
I was gone on Tuesday and today and I see I've got 6 broody hens now instead of just 3...despite the eggs being picked by my son.
th.gif
I'm glad I'll be home tomorrow to get things straightened out...lol.

We had an all day road trip to pick up a piece of machinery...and I made the most of it. (insert evil laugh)
wink.png
I made last minute arrangements last night to buy 2 dozen hatching eggs from someone 2.5 hours away. I met the most lovely man who not only met us, to my surprise brought 33 eggs he had collected for himself...just so I'd have extras. Wow!

@ronott1 I think it was you who mentioned dipping eggs in a weak bleach solution before setting them? If so...could you post the solution for those of us who may wish to use it for hatching eggs that have been purchased. (Unless I missed it)
hide.gif
A weak bleach solution or an egg wash like mana pro makes. The weak bleach solution is half a tsp to a cup of water. The water should be about 80 degrees.

Mana pro is what I have used before Instructions are:

Ingredients: Water, Yeast, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate

Directions for use: Mix 2 capfuls with one gallon of fresh, warm water. Allow eggs to sit in the solution for 10-15 minutes, then wash by using a clean, white cloth or brush. Rinse eggs thoroughly and refrigerate after washing.

For fertilized eggs intended for incubation: Allow eggs to sit in warm solution for only 3-5 minutes, then lightly scrub with a cloth or brush, rinse and place in incubator. Dispose of solution after use.

The eggs hatched normally after washing them.

Okay, I'm finally done stuffing the last of the quail eggs in the bators. I've got 3 incubators going plus a couple broodies. Here are my egg totals:
75 barnyard mix
20 Silkies
4 Black Tailed Buff Japanese
26 Serama
8 Sebrights
16 Modern Game Bantams
16 Welsh Harlequin
7 Mandarin
39 Japanese quail
That is a total of 211
ep.gif
and