The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Ok, need help from anyone..or a bunch of someones that hatch duck eggs.  Had a friend bring over a few duck eggs because mama got taken by a racoon.  Candled when he got here.  The eggs had been out for the day..one egg was not good for sure.  I could see veining in the other two, but no movement.  I told him that I would let them warm up and candle later.  Well, I just did, and they are viable.  He is...guessing..that mama had been sitting for about a week.  If I get photos of candling tomorrow night, think I could get a guesstament on how long they have been incubated?   If it were chicks..I would say a week.  How long again for ducks to incubate?  We really guessed last time with quite a few he brought by.  I only got a few to hatch.  He gets them back if they hatch, as much as I would love to have a duck.  Or two. :D
  I need to know for now...how much humidity I should have in there.  I have it a mid 40's for now. 

Here's a chart you can compare to:

Duck eggs (aside from muscovies and Calls) take 28 days :)

Thank you..oh boy, I'm thinking we may be a bit further along than a week. More like day 10. Will get some photos tomorrow night. Well, it will be like waiting the same amount of time for a chick egg just set for me..if it's that far along. :)

Reasons for drawn out hatches? Most hatched yesterday. But the fist pip was thurs (malpositioned). Today theirs still 2 pipped and sometimes working on it and 1 still candled active in shell but no pip or anything.

My total chicks hatched is 4 out of 5 viable. I just eggtopsied the last one and it quit at about the halfway point.

When do we start again MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
lau.gif

Here's little Jolene enjoying yesterday's sunshine!

Actually, I had another functioning thermometer in my incubator at the time, but it was a C one and I wasn't watching it closely enough. So, I've learned my lesson, and put (2) F working thermometers in addition to my C thermometer, and am watching ALL of them this time.

I got more eggs, and am doing another round of hatching! This time, my thermometers are reading 99.7 and 100.3, yippee! here we go again!

Actually, I had another functioning thermometer in my incubator at the time, but it was a C one and I wasn't watching it closely enough.  So, I've learned my lesson, and put (2) F working thermometers in addition to my C thermometer, and am watching ALL of them this time.

I got more eggs, and am doing another round of hatching!  This time, my thermometers are reading 99.7 and 100.3, yippee!  here we go again!

Did you calibrate? IMO that's still much too big of a temp difference.

16 eggs in the 'bator on day 27. I exspected them to be late since I had two power outages equally about 8 hours without power. But, I got a pip! And lots of that wittle coot peeping!

Back
Top Bottom