The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Humidity during incubation should not go below 25%. There are places where it is so dry that humidity will go that low.
My area is very dry. When I first turned on the incubator to test it, my humidity was 13-14%. I had to up my house humidifier to 30% to get consistent readings. Even with that, I had to add a little cup some days to keep it up inside the incubator.

For number 1, last fall I had a red ranger hen go broody she always felt warmer than the other hens so I'm guessing she was also warmer while brooding. She hatched out 3 girls and 1 boy.
For number 2, I read somewhere that the chicks will have the size of the mother and the color of the father. No clue how true that is though.
Thank you for the info. Hmm might be cute to have some Self Blue leg horns ...

I put 8 eggs into lockdown last night. I've been trying the dry hatch method for the first time so my humidity has been around 28-30% average for the duration (very dry climate). I added water last night and this morning humidity was at 60%. I know for lockdown you want to try to increase by 15%. Is a 30% increase too much?

My problem in the past was drowning chicks so I want to make sure I don't do them harm in the last 3 days. Their weight loss for day 18 ranged from 11%-19%. My guess is that since their weight loss is above "normal" they should be okay.
Sounds good to me, and how I do it. :)

My area is very dry. When I first turned on the incubator to test it, my humidity was 13-14%. I had to up my house humidifier to 30% to get consistent readings. Even with that, I had to add a little cup some days to keep it up inside the incubator.
Good job!

Back
Top Bottom