The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

What are those?!
55a01564f6460365de2b53671886deb4-unique-baby-boy-names-baby-boys-names.jpg

Not so good of a hatch rate. As I said a few pages back, I woke up Easter Morning to find my Oven door open. Curious Grandson.. So my only hatches are limited and from the day before the temp/humidity drop. The only one that survived was an assisted chick who is in dyer straights. I have been nursing it. It had zero use of it's legs. But I've been pumping high volumes of nutrition into it and at least she can sit up straight now.
So here are my pathetic numbers.
Farmer Connie Stats:
  • 40 eggs set.
  • 10 duds upon candle
  • 13 eggs half un zipped & died from the lid being open.
  • 1 assisted rescue chick after temp drop.
  • 7 chicks hatched early and are all happy and healthy.
So my count technically is 7 and 1/2 chicks.
View attachment 1322752

Here is my special needs chick.

View attachment 1322772

When your family comes to visit for the Holiday weekend, lock the door to your incubator room..
My special needs check passed away during the night. So my official count is 7 total. Terrible numbers compared to my other recent hatches but it is what it is. The chick that passed away, it was better off anyway as a quality of life perspective. Late hatches and temperature drops and spikes generally lead to unseen neurological damages. Just because the creature appeared to be physically intact, doesn't always necessarily Mean internal development Etc is in order. Chicks are a little easier to deal with the death from neurological disorders. Every once in awhile, pigs we have bred, one Tiny runt will suffer the same consequences. That's a little harder to swallow. Seeing a larger organism suffer and having to do the right thing.
On a positive note, today is lockdown on another incubator. And I have no house guests! I don't have to lock the door anymore to the incubator room!

My special needs check passed away during the night. So my official count is 7 total. Terrible numbers compared to my other recent hatches but it is what it is. The chick that passed away, it was better off anyway as a quality of life perspective. Late hatches and temperature drops and spikes generally lead to unseen neurological damages. Just because the creature appeared to be physically intact, doesn't always necessarily Mean internal development Etc is in order. Chicks are a little easier to deal with the death from neurological disorders. Every once in awhile, pigs we have bred, one Tiny runt will suffer the same consequences. That's a little harder to swallow. Seeing a larger organism suffer and having to do the right thing.
On a positive note, today is lockdown on another incubator. And I have no house guests! I don't have to lock the door anymore to the incubator room!
If they hatch they count for the hatch rate.

It is sad when they do not make it.

:hugs

Oh no, sorry. Any idea what happened?
10 were clear. 1 quit early.
I think the largest culprit was temp. It's been all over the place, and the only form of heat I have is wood. It's a next to impossible task to keep the temps steady. I was also using a cheap, mercury style garden thermometer.

they do not always bleed out when they hit a vessel. You can sometimes save them too
Then I noticed a cord wrapped around his foot and leg. I unwrapped it and left it connected. Thought he wasn't going to be able to walk, but he's working it out. He's tiny. Here is a couple of pics of my Easter Eggers that hatched. I'll post a pic of the lil one later, we're in the middle of a snow storm and my siding is being blown off the back of my house.

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_185026.jpg
    IMG_20180403_185026.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180403_182416797.jpg
    IMG_20180403_182416797.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 0
Then I noticed a cord wrapped around his foot and leg. I unwrapped it and left it connected. Thought he wasn't going to be able to walk, but he's working it out. He's tiny. Here is a couple of pics of my Easter Eggers that hatched. I'll post a pic of the lil one later, we're in the middle of a snow storm and my siding is being blown off the back of my house.
The cord should dry off on it's own. Be careful that it does not pull on the stomach if it is connected there

Back
Top Bottom