The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

My final count is 7 chickens, 4 EE and 3 OE.

I’m very happy with the results even if the numbers weren’t that great. Fertility was very low but I was expecting that with so many girls and only one rooster. Of the ones that were fertile, 64% hatched. The part I’m happiest with is that there were no drowned chicks. I’ve already set another 42 eggs. Hoping for better fertility since it’s a bit later in the season.

View attachment 1321112 View attachment 1321113 View attachment 1321115 View attachment 1321116 View attachment 1321117
Beautiful babies!

In case it was missed the first time. 7 Sebastopol goslings successfully hatched!
IMG_1658.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg

I set 24 duck eggs, of those only 12 were fertile. Of the 12 fertile eggs I had 3 blood rings when candled after two weeks. All three blood ring eggs were from the same hen; fluke or something else? We had 9 eggs make it to lockdown. One of the Buff x Cayuga ducklings pipped, then I found it dead about 18 hours later. It was fully formed and looked ready to hatch. My best guess is maybe one of the other ducklings that hatched smothered it? Two of the Cayuga eggs pipped and hit a vein (I think). When I candled at lockdown they were wiggling in the shell. When I candled Saturday they both had big red spots in the shell. Final count for me was 5 Cayuga ducklings, and 1 Buff x Cayuga duckling.
3-31 Ducks1.jpg

3-31 Ducks3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom