The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

We set 103 eggs for the HAL and our final number of birds hatched is 63. :celebrate Once “we” for got to toggle the turner switch back on :smackand another day temperature spiked, so overall, I think we did okay.
Since we only have one LO hen, we also put 3 Blue Cochin hens in with our LO rooster. We are overrun with the mixed chicks! We also hatched some nice BLRW, OE, Silkie, Showgirls, Jubilee Orpington, BCM (not ours), and a lone Bielefelder that came as an extra with the BCM. Whew! One egg that I took out, thinking it was a dud, was peeping the next day from the cup where I put two quitters to be tossed. I set it back in the incubator and it hatched yesterday. Of course it’s a mutt, Murphy would have never allowed an Orpington or Marans to survive that! Now I’m second guessing some of the other eggs I tossed. :oops:

B5F2E956-9A48-4817-9C3A-F0BDAF1AD84C.jpeg
2A6F066A-9A92-4973-83CC-12BBE28E83E2.jpeg
1A9B91A2-1C2B-4A5E-A305-0CBC4A696FD9.jpeg
27E6DB98-193B-47A1-89B0-30710ADEB77B.jpeg
0B0190E2-00EA-4739-9AF4-EB3C9BA2F0B8.jpeg
I forgot to add pics!

So, official final count is 0.
:(

I'm so sorry your hatch didn't go well.

Actually I'm sorry for everyone that seems to have had problems. I wonder if being early this year could be part of the problem.

Not so good of a hatch rate. As I said a few pages back, I woke up Easter Morning to find my Oven door open. Curious Grandson.. So my only hatches are limited and from the day before the temp/humidity drop. The only one that survived was an assisted chick who is in dyer straights. I have been nursing it. It had zero use of it's legs. But I've been pumping high volumes of nutrition into it and at least she can sit up straight now.
So here are my pathetic numbers.
Farmer Connie Stats:
  • 40 eggs set.
  • 10 duds upon candle
  • 13 eggs half un zipped & died from the lid being open.
  • 1 assisted rescue chick after temp drop.
  • 7 chicks hatched early and are all happy and healthy.
So my count technically is 7 and 1/2 chicks.
View attachment 1322752

Here is my special needs chick.

View attachment 1322772

When your family comes to visit for the Holiday weekend, lock the door to your incubator room..

Oh goodness. How sad.

I will definitely be careful when I have people around my incubator.

Okay ladies and gents and chickie and ducky and poultry and goosling and quail babies and any others I may have missed.

My poor little singleton is getting some siblings this evening since it's so early this year we are brooding in the house to start with so we aren't getting a ton. We will be buying 6 babies to buddy up with our single quail chick. I can't wait to see how happy the little will be, it cries and cries right now. The new siblings will be between 1 day- 1 week old depending on what the breeder has. I'm hoping to get some more blue/green layers from his line since I haven't gotten a blue quail egg since losing my big pharoah female. I'm still hoping l get more but I really don't believe I'm that lucky.

We plan to add more from the breeder later in the year when it's warmer and I'm hoping to add as many as possible then. I may add as many as 50 and keep the best birds as well as some from 1-2 other lines to maintain genetic diversity.

We set 103 eggs for the HAL and our final number of birds hatched is 63. :celebrate Once “we” for got to toggle the turner switch back on :smackand another day temperature spiked, so overall, I think we did okay.
Since we only have one LO hen, we also put 3 Blue Cochin hens in with our LO rooster. We are overrun with the mixed chicks! We also hatched some nice BLRW, OE, Silkie, Showgirls, Jubilee Orpington, BCM (not ours), and a lone Bielefelder that came as an extra with the BCM. Whew! One egg that I took out, thinking it was a dud, was peeping the next day from the cup where I put two quitters to be tossed. I set it back in the incubator and it hatched yesterday. Of course it’s a mutt, Murphy would have never allowed an Orpington or Marans to survive that! Now I’m second guessing some of the other eggs I tossed. :oops:
Nice summary!

Did you post pictures worthless.gif ?

I'm so sorry your hatch didn't go well.

Actually I'm sorry for everyone that seems to have had problems. I wonder if being early this year could be part of the problem.

Oh goodness. How sad.

I will definitely be careful when I have people around my incubator.

Okay ladies and gents and chickie and ducky and poultry and goosling and quail babies and any others I may have missed.

My poor little singleton is getting some siblings this evening since it's so early this year we are brooding in the house to start with so we aren't getting a ton. We will be buying 6 babies to buddy up with our single quail chick. I can't wait to see how happy the little will be, it cries and cries right now. The new siblings will be between 1 day- 1 week old depending on what the breeder has. I'm hoping to get some more blue/green layers from his line since I haven't gotten a blue quail egg since losing my big pharoah female. I'm still hoping l get more but I really don't believe I'm that lucky.

We plan to add more from the breeder later in the year when it's warmer and I'm hoping to add as many as possible then. I may add as many as 50 and keep the best birds as well as some from 1-2 other lines to maintain genetic diversity.
The singleton will be so happy!

I know!!! I'm so happy we actually had this happen once last year too and that's how we met this breeder.

He's an awesome guy.

I love seeing them all happy and calm with their new family. I was so so hoping the other egg would survive and hatch but at least I can provide a family for the little one in some way.

The singleton will be so happy!

Back
Top Bottom