The adventures of Barbara (BR)

Quote:
Yeah I'm feeling a little under the weather today also the weather changed so did my sinuses.

Anyway Leroy and the romantic moment got the first laugh out of me today, feel better already.

Thanks for the story.
catdaddy

Leroy’s Feather Bed

On this brisk fall day, someone named John Deere moved the little bachelor coop into the garage to become a home for the little Speckled Sussex babies. It had to be cleaned and disinfected and the Food Man hauled up a couple bales of straw from the barn to put inside. Barbara and Monica got the party started by playing in the straw bales and spreading it around in the garage and making a mess. It was their job.

The Food Lady provided additional snacks for the party when she planted a bunch of flower bulbs in Barbara’s mulching area and dug up lots of luscious earthworms. Barbara understands much more language than she lets on. The Food Lady called “wormies!" and Barbara and Monica came running with their drumsticks flying. They helped cover up the bulbs and scratched dirt over the sidewalk in case anyone had missed a snack.

There were other goodies today. The apple tree had wonderful wormy apples under it, and the wet leaves hid lots of slugs. The extra feeders were brought up for cleaning and the Food Man let the girls eat up the crumbles that were left. Barbara stole the last few petunias from the flower pot. Yum—pink was her favorite!

Barbara was quite satisfied as she waddled toward the coop at dusk. A well balanced breakfastlunchsupper and now a long snooze cuddling next to her man chicken. Life is good.

The other girls were already getting settled in the coop. It was a little upsetting because the two Ameraucana brothers had been allowed to return to the big coop if they remembered their manners. Their buff brother left Monday to go to Idaho (he is sort of a mail-order bride), so the brothers needed the girls to keep them warm.

Barbara looked around. The Wyandotte sisters were sitting close together on the back perch, fluffed up like big basketballs. The Ameraucana sisters were sticking their skinny butts out of the nest boxes pretending nobody could see them. The ISAs and the BOs were cuddled up to Hot Stuff. Where was Leroy?? Leroy!!

“Buk," said Leroy, softly. “Whuk?" said Barbara. She couldn’t see very well in the twilight. “My goodness," she thought, “that Wendy is getting fatter and fatter. She should quit being broody and get some exercise."

Just then, the reason for Wendy’s plumpness appeared. Leroy was scrunched down between Wanda and Wendy with his head under Wendy’s wing. She was keeping him warm! He buried his head in her fluff. She was so comfy!

Look out Barbara! She's going to steal your man!
lol.png

I have GOT to get a picture of Leroy and Wanda! He has been snuggling her for a few weeks now and it is hysterical to see that little banty roo head sticking out of Wanda's feathers! He also rubs his head all over her fluff and kind of chirps to himself. Barbara probably wouldn't put up with it, but the Wyandottes are calm and lethargic and Leroy was hatched with them, so the relationship appears to be platonic.

I just discovered Barbara
I love her
love.gif

she reminds me of my BR - Gertie
keep up the good stories I'm gonna subscribe to this !

I'm sure Barbara will get Leroy back into line. She strikes me as the kind of diva chicken who does not doubt herself at all. After all he's just a roo and needs more training!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom