The Aloha Chicken Project

No pictures of the pullet but do have a sibling cockerel, picture seems to make him look small- he was weighed in at 9 pounds and has a nice long and meaty breast:

don't need another cockerel however am keeping him in case he has the blue egg gene and he does have genetics for big size too...
This one however would be interesting with the NN Aloha hens - if those dark legs could be bred out! I do very much like his shape and size. Just remember how tough it was to remove the darker legs on my Alohas years ago. Tried a Wheaten Amercauana to try and breed in blue eggs. Worked great but then by the time I bred out the muffs and added the single comb back, I had lost the blue egg color. However, the dark leg gene lingered and lingered and lingered - took FOREVER to remove from my flock! LOL.

Last edited:
Just thinking outside the box (I am freed from the specific Aloha goals because I'm just messing around in my own back yard - for instance, I'm going for white legs in all of mine. They're really elegant looking on my two pretty little Aloha NN girls, which I really have to say are probably the PRETTIEST chicks I've ever had...
big_smile.png
)

- Ant Farm
Aww, so glad you like the Aloha girls!

Quote:
I love how they look like little movie stars wearing feather boas!!!!

Here are all the little ones together this morning (it was a drizzly morning so they were just hanging out). The NNs are about 9 weeks old, I think. All but one of the aloha NNs are hanging out in front. They refuse to roost at night as well, and sleep in a pile on the sand. (As do my older Naked Necks). So weird...

Last edited:
My roosters all have dark legs that I'm fighting to overcome. An inheritance from their grandpa Salmon NN.

The Spangled Aloha rooster of course has yellow legs and the Mottled Partridge that I saved from my September 2015 hatch has mottled legs.

I do have a few cockerels that are hatching with yellow legs so I am getting there.

Last edited:
@Kev , at your leisure, can you take a look at these posts over on the Cream Legbar thread, with regard to genetics of Eumelanin? My rooster is from ChicKat and is son of Robin, and may carry this (odds are good looking at the chicks I've hatched so far - one pullet has already been named "Joan Jett"), and at least one of the mother hens (Paula, of blessed memory) was clearly melanized.

post #10145

post #10146

I'm interested in your input, in general (about our theories), as well as potential for crossing into other colors. Would Lavender also dilute this gene (does it dilute all blacks or only some forms of black)? Seems off topic, couldn't figure out where else to post, but just trying to understand color more, as it relates to Aloha and other birds. Especially as if I try for green egg laying aloha NNs, it could be via the CLs, but if my birds all carry these darkening genes, that may not be a good idea after all and could end up a disaster...

(I really am starting to become enamored of the idea of adding lavender to the Aloha NNs... And I could use lavendar ameraucanas... Why do I have this lavender obsession?!
barnie.gif
)

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
A friend of mine mentioned today that she needs to free up some space and wondered if anyone is interested in the following birds.

They are mille fleur leghorns. I'm thinking about getting the pullet in the background. She isn't as flashy as the cockerels in the foreground, but definitely has the mottling and it looks to me like yellow legs as well (which she should since they are leghorns). I know I wasn't going to add in anything to mine but since I started with Exchequer Leghorns, adding in another color of Leghorn doesn't seem like its straying too far from the original. And, since doing my project means a lot of in-breeding, I thought this might be an acceptable way to add in some new blood. What do you all think?

Well, I guess I misunderstood her post. These are the adults. The two in front that I took to be cockerels are actually adult hens (the rooster is not pictured). What she is trying to sell are their chicks. I just agreed to take 10 of them. Yikes!!!! But, they all have yellow feet and are a month old and she said as they feather out she can already see that some are going to be pretty flashy. I don't get them until later in the week when we can meet up. I figure even if they're no good for the project, I won't mind having some flashy little birds in my layer flock.

Well, I guess I misunderstood her post.  These are the adults.  The two in front that I took to be cockerels are actually adult hens (the rooster is not pictured).  What she is trying to sell are their chicks.  I just agreed to take 10 of them.  Yikes!!!!  But, they all have yellow feet and are a month old and she said as they feather out she can already see that some are going to be pretty flashy.  I don't get them until later in the week when we can meet up.  I figure even if they're no good for the project, I won't mind having some flashy little birds in my layer flock.

I think you're good in adding them to the mix. The Mille Leghorns will add the yellow. Legs ( or really maintain them). You're right in the thinking also about already leghorn blood there. I think the Milles are a little larger than most leghorns also.

I'm wondering g what a cross with the Milles and the Exchequer would look like.

Back
Top Bottom