The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

To simplify, think of it this way, if you hatched eggs of a breed that was supposed to have a single comb but one or two of them hatched with a pea comb, would you say that it must be pure but it just somehow spontaneously has a pea comb? Or would you suspect it was a cross? How about if you hatched a bird that was supposed to be a marans, but it laid blue eggs? Or a breed that was supposed to be solid black, but you hatched a chick that was barred instead? Would you think all those were purebreds, or would you suspect an oops breeding happened and they were crosses? Those are all the same situation as this.

Hello everyone! :weeI’m excited to say that I’m getting my first breeding trio of ayam cemani! I’m so excited! They will be here Wednesday or maybe Tuesday! I will add some photos of the three tomorrow but they are from a woman in Georgia and she has been working with these birds for a long time and received her original flock from green fire farms and her birds do look nice. She has had a lot of time to improve the quality so I’m excited to start this journey and please give me as many helpful tips on breeding and marketing babies! I live in West Virginia and there’s only one place I know that sells them here and they are about 150 dollars a chick so I was thinking maybe selling for less? I wish it was Wednesday already!:barnie

Hello everyone! :weeI’m excited to say that I’m getting my first breeding trio of ayam cemani! I’m so excited! They will be here Wednesday or maybe Tuesday! I will add some photos of the three tomorrow but they are from a woman in Georgia and she has been working with these birds for a long time and received her original flock from green fire farms and her birds do look nice. She has had a lot of time to improve the quality so I’m excited to start this journey and please give me as many helpful tips on breeding and marketing babies! I live in West Virginia and there’s only one place I know that sells them here and they are about 150 dollars a chick so I was thinking maybe selling for less? I wish it was Wednesday already!:barnie
There are so many ayam cemani around already that I doubt you will be able to sell many chicks for anything like that $$.
I got some really nice birds from eggs from a very serious breeder on BYC and was lucky to get $12 a chick. I was ok with that as they were just so cool to own.

I’m not too worried about making a quick buck... I’m more in it to just do my part in producing quality chicks and birds and helping others get started as well. They seem like great birds and I’m excited to work with them.

Hey guys! Sorry to barge in, but if you or anyone you know is selling a good quality Ayam Cemani rooster or cockerel I would love to purchase it!!! (I'll pay for shipping if necessary, I've been looking to no avail) My current roosters have some mullberry in their combs, so I'd really like to improve the quality of my flock and help diversify the blood lines as well. Thank you in advance!

951D876F-F6D6-4075-84C6-DF149E427227.jpeg
BC62949F-38F3-4E6F-B364-AECD028A3A5C.jpeg
A7BB455B-4171-4FCB-81CB-CF38FAE81F1E.jpeg
Here are my ayam cemanis I got the other day sorry for the delay with the photos!

Hello, all!

I am currently reading through this thread, after having read another, shorter one, because I just received 9 Ayam Cemani chicks that I won in an auction from a breeder in California. A couple are still looking a bit affected by their cross continent journey (I am in NC), but they are all otherwise happy, healthy, NOISY little chicks.

Anyway, I don't know yet if they will grow out to be breeding worthy, but I quite love them already. I had really only meant to get 1 or 2 as a gift for my partner who said he really loved the "blacked out" birds, but for the price of a couple of adults, I got all these chicks, instead! I haven't looked them over TOO closely as they are still small and I want them to recuperate fully before I go messing around with them too much. So far I've really only checked them over for health issues and not color issues. I did notice that several of them have clear toenails on one or more toes. I've seen some people mention "white" toenails before, and some mention "clear", do those generally mean the same thing? Or are there some birds that have a more opaque white toenail?

Picture because they're so cute! (And hard to photograph)

I've seen some people mention "white" toenails before, and some mention "clear", do those generally mean the same thing? Or are there some birds that have a more opaque white toenail?

Those are different :) Clear toenails are as they sound, clear. They usually fill in black pretty quickly, within a week or so of the chick hatching.

White toenails are white. They don't fill in black and stay white throughout the life of the bird. Those, I personally consider culls and do not breed from.

Those are different :) Clear toenails are as they sound, clear. They usually fill in black pretty quickly, within a week or so of the chick hatching.

White toenails are white. They don't fill in black and stay white throughout the life of the bird. Those, I personally consider culls and do not breed from.

Thank you for clearing that up! I looked over a couple of them this afternoon and it seems several DO have a "white" toenail, and the ones that do, it's always on their middle toe, and a couple of them also have discolored (peach-ish) skin on the underside of their toe near the nail.

Back
Top Bottom