The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Steadfast, Mar 13, 2014.

1. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I bought 4 cemani eggs and had them mailed to me.They were supposed to hold at post office but for some reason the little box was stuffed in my black mail box. They deliver at ten but I didn't find it til 4pm. So bout had a heart attack when the card board was warm to the touch. I unpacked them and held them to my cheek and they were cool. I couldn't believe it,thank goodness for bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. I have ordered eggs in winter and had good luck,but they are always held at the post office.

2. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    who did you order from? How exciting :)

3. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Have you guys read the many threads by Resolution? He states in some of them, that if you feed them a high protein diet and other ingredients similar to Wild Green jungle fowl's natural diet, you can hatch out more dark/black chicks that are more consistent.

So, just curious any one feed their FM birds anything special?

and just as a bonus, a video from Cemani Farms showing what they feed their birds

4. maranfarmer563

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I got the eggs off eBay,so we'll see what I get. I have been feeding my cemani pullets turkey starter 28% has a lot of soybeans in it,it's made in my towns feed mill. I live in rural Pennsylvania and the local mill will custom make feed, if anyone has a recipe to try

5. maranfarmer563

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    There is a debate on incubation,wet or dry.i have never tried the dry method but will try it some day. Ten days ago we had a huge thunder storm and a small flash flood. I had a silky with a ground nest full of turken eggs. I found the hen roosting above the nest and the eggs under 6" of water. I scooped up the eggs in her water dish and headed into the henhouse. I rearranged eggs under other hens and put the cold wet eggs under another silky. Today I was surprised by peeping,those eggs are hatching tonight, so does prove the wet method works lol

6. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Mind clarifying what is wet and dry is in terms of incubation method? I've always heard it, but never figure out what people are talking about. And congratulation on the hatch [​IMG]

7. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Personally I use a combination of incubators and broody hens (Ayam Kedu) to incubate and hatch my Cemani. However, with my Svart Hona, I only use my Rcom 20 Pro incubators with a custom program. I would like to be able to use broody hens with the Svart eggs, but the eggs themselves look to similar to Kedu eggs so I don't know how I would sort them out. But the Rcoms give a 98% hatch rate, so I am not sure that they are at a disadvantage, especially since the incubators are on battery backups plus a generator.

My custom program rotates 90 degrees every 4 hours with 41% humidity. It also stops all turning, decreases temps to 90 degrees and ups humidity to 60%, 4 days prior to hatch.

Humidity in the broody coop averages 51%.

8. maranfarmer563

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I've used all kinds of incubators over the years and have always kept water in there from day one. With the dry method, they don't put water in till day 18 for chickens. I've never tried dry but will experiment this fall.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The incubator decreases the temperature to 90º ??????

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland

99.0. That's what I get for typing on my phone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by