The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Steadfast, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    haha mine was mad at me too! Here's the pic of him mad at me and the pic of the tip of his tongue black. Well won't let me add pics hmmm will add when I get to a pc

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Me neither !

3. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I been trying to add pics from my phone too,but can't figure it out

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The site is funky from the last "update". :(

5. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    ok thank you! i will stop trying them haha

6. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I'm trying my lst dry hatch today, I didn't do very well with my turkin and frizzle eggs so I'm going dry. I using my layer hen eggs black copper marans and new Hampshires. So no water til day 18 right?

7. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Ok so the basket method doesn't work at all for separating. I usually use separate incubators. But I ran out of incubators this time. So I had Ayam Cemani, Ayam Kedu, Svart Hona, Cream Legbars, and Sulmtalers in the same incubator. Someone suggested using baskets to separate them. That works on the Rcom incubators because they are not that high. But on the Genesis incubators, the little buggers have enough head room to crawl/jump over their little plastic prisons.

At leas the Kedu, Cream Legbars, and Sulmtalers are easy to identify. The Ayam Cemani and Svart will just have to be added to my layer flock which is unfortunate as some of them are jet black all over.

I am going back to only using separate incubators for each breed. Here is a picture of the little criminals.

[​IMG]

8. Kerstiens

Kerstiens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    What a shame! That's what happens when you try to fence in those wild cemani! My pens all have nicknames and the cemani pen is known as JURASSIC PARK!
    Congrats on a nice hatch though! :)

9. Randy2010

Randy2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Arden, NC
    I use taller plastic bowls and never have had a problem with them getting out of them or them affecting my hatch. Which I do have a fan in mine hatcher.

10. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    The baskets work perfect in the Rcoms. But I all I could find were the smaller ones and I ran out of time. The lady at the Dollar Store said people were buying up those little baskets for back to school so the shorter ones were all that were left. Plus I was worried about the basket touching the heating element/fan combo. I don't have to worry about that with the Rcoms because the humidity comes from steam on them. But sometimes I have more eggs than incubators and I pull out the Genesis. At least I get an awesome hatch rate with the Genesis when I use it.

But it's ok. I really like eating the eggs from the Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona. I guess that would be one way to tell. The egg color on my Svart Hona are browner than the Cemani. So once they start laying, I will be able to tell them apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by