The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

With the FF most of my chickens will eat as much as you will give them. They walk around with a crop-bulge as big as an orange then act like they're staved! I start them on it from day one.

Same here, lol! I didn't know their crops could get so big before FF!! And they'll always find room for more, like a never ending dessert!

what is FF?

FF = fermented feed

Question: Do any of you have experience with Ayam Cemani AND Svart Hona? I've been dong some reading and can't easily tell differences in appearance... except maybe that Svart Hona in the pictures I'm looking at looks slightly "rounder", if that makes sense? They look so much alike!

I caught one of my EE pullets nibbling on the fermented feed this morning, before I left for work. I'm hoping to come home to a cleared plate! I have started stirring the "scoby" back into the feed each time I scoop some out.

My Ayam Cemani eggs go into lockdown on the 1st! Anyone else hatching Cemani babies weekend?

wee.gif

Last edited:
Question: Do any of you have experience with Ayam Cemani AND Svart Hona? I've been dong some reading and can't easily tell differences in appearance... except maybe that Svart Hona in the pictures I'm looking at looks slightly "rounder", if that makes sense? They look so much alike!

I caught one of my EE pullets nibbling on the fermented feed this morning, before I left for work. I'm hoping to come home to a cleared plate! I have started stirring the "scoby" back into the feed each time I scoop some out. 

My Ayam Cemani eggs go into lockdown on the 1st! Anyone else hatching Cemani babies weekend?

:weee  

I heard cemani are more gamey and heavier.
Where did you get the Cemani eggs?

Last edited:
I heard cemani are more gamey and heavier.
Where did you get the Cemani eggs?

NOT EBAY.
big_smile.png

A BYC buddy who has some, said they should be a good start. I don't breed, but I do collect, and have been trying to get my hands on one for what feels like a long time. Awful luck until now. I've lost a few of the eggs already, I think due to stormy weather causing power outages... and a recently failing incubator heating unit... but the majority are going strong!

I keep thinking about a nightmare hatch I had a few months ago... different eggs, off of Ebay, and none hatched. They were all dead in the shell. I was so sad... and the memory of it is making soooo nervous because I so badly want an Ayam Cemani baby! I'm thinking about splitting the clutch in half, and putting each half into a separate incubator for lockdown. Either way, I'm getting more and more nervous the closer I get to hatch day...

fl.gif
C'mon, little embryos! I'll have a warm brooder, fresh water, and chick mash for you... lots of treats and TLC. I'll even name you and let you run around my backyard when you're bigger. I'll even share my garden with you.

Last edited:

So happy to join you! Best wishes for a successful hatch!

wee.gif
My daughter, Sarah, has six in the incubator that go on lockdown Wednesday night and we're hoping for chicks this weekend! We haven't candled or anything since putting them in the incubator so it's pins and needles here! We have a leave them alone as much as you possibly can mentality! We're already at a pretty high altitude (in Colorado) which we've read can play against you.... last batch she had 2 hatch out of six so we're keeping out fingers crossed! Wouldn't it be an awesome Easter gift for her to wake up to eggs hatching? :)

Congrats to everybody hatching! I can't wait for my hens to start laying this year. Cjwaldon sent me a gorgeous TM line rooster who I will be putting over the TM hens I got from Randy who are also stunning. I also have two GF line pullets growing up so all in all, I cannot wait to get eggs and start hatching.

I've got some cemani eggs going into the hatcher on Thursday. Fingers crossed!! Pretty nervous about the little black embryos. Good luck w ur hatch too!!

I'm new to cemanis, so I've been poking around this thread. Great to see so many people working w this breed. I had been wondering about the legitimacy of ebayers w hatching eggs. Thanks for verbalizing thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

I tried to do the ff thing last year & was grossed out by the white frothy stuff. I then discontinued the project. Maybe I will try again this year. Thank you for sharing ur recipes!

Back
Top Bottom