The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Dilemma time, lol... had 3 cockerels but already culled 1 for gold leakage in his hackles... down to 2 and thought I had a clear winner, but not so sure now...

Right cockerel had been the dominant and I love his comb, form and especially his attitude... left one has an awful kinked comb and a not so perfect attitude... not aggressive per se, but very overbearing... he's replaced the other as dominant but also picks on the more docile one as well...

They're in opposite sides in this pic...

Anyways, the nicer form and temperament cockerel is slightly less fibro than the other cockerel... not by much, but a little... also not sure if it's just because his comb and wattles have grown out bigger and longer that it looks that way... they're not as red as the pics make them look, still haven't figured out how to get accurate color to show in pics...

So my question is, I know fibro is most important in Cemanis but is it the only important part? Do the other points add up to the better choice as a whole, or should the choice be made only for deeper fibro no matter what?

I'd take the better overall cockerel, including better attitude. Fibro is a funny thing I'm still trying to figure out. I've had 1/4 AC express better fibro than some of my pure AC. Your slightly less fibro cockerel will still produce good offspring, but with added better personalities. How do their combs compare now that they're a little older?

Don't forget to keep a back up cockerel.

Not exactly sure where to post this question, so I figured I'd post it where most of the AC breeders seem to be.

I just got 5 chicks about a week ago, so they are still very very young, but I didn't want to waste time when it came to more research. Now the ones I have are obviously from different clutches as they all seem to be of different ages. If I am wanting to start breeding them once they get older, would it be best to start with the group I have and try to cull the not so perfect ones (hoping to get at least a breeding pair if not a trio out of the 5), or should I start with trying to get another batch from a different bloodline as well?

Most of my breeding experiences are with breeding dogs, and so to me line breeding is a big no no. I'm still learning all the rules when it comes to chickens. I understand people will get groups of chicks for their own breeding programs, but do they stick with the single group, or is it common practice to buy from different farms and lines first? Sorry if this has already been asked before, or is an obvious question.

Not exactly sure where to post this question, so I figured I'd post it where most of the AC breeders seem to be.

I just got 5 chicks about a week ago, so they are still very very young, but I didn't want to waste time when it came to more research. Now the ones I have are obviously from different clutches as they all seem to be of different ages. If I am wanting to start breeding them once they get older, would it be best to start with the group I have and try to cull the not so perfect ones (hoping to get at least a breeding pair if not a trio out of the 5), or should I start with trying to get another batch from a different bloodline as well?

Most of my breeding experiences are with breeding dogs, and so to me line breeding is a big no no. I'm still learning all the rules when it comes to chickens. I understand people will get groups of chicks for their own breeding programs, but do they stick with the single group, or is it common practice to buy from different farms and lines first? Sorry if this has already been asked before, or is an obvious question.

You can start with what you have, or acquire additional stock. Once you have a fair group together, you won't need to introduce new blood for quite a while. Check out this link. http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id60.html for an explanation. Google "spiral line breeding" if you want to research more.

Ayam Cemani x Cream Legbar cross,, F1 and very dark legs/beaks etc. just a few white toes that will likely darken. I'm thrilled!!!

I'd take the better overall cockerel, including better attitude.  Fibro is a funny thing I'm still trying to figure out.  I've had 1/4 AC express better fibro than some of my pure AC.  Your slightly less fibro cockerel will still produce good offspring, but with added better personalities.  How do their combs compare now that they're a little older? 

Don't forget to keep a back up cockerel.

Thank you for your insight, cj... much appreciated... :)

Funny enough, the comb straightened out a lot on the 2nd cockerel, still has a big wave/wobble, but not a fully folded kink like it was earlier... 1st cockerel does have a very slight thumb mark at the back end of his comb, but not bad at all...

1st cockerel... his tail is a bit high, but not quite a squirrel tail... plus, he was being difficult to get a side pic and was excited, lol... his form I like a lot more, he's got the lankier body type more similar to game style I feel...

2nd cockerel... really gorgeous, nice fibro... but he's shorter and stockier... in fact, when he stands next to one of the pullets he's about a half inch shorter than them comparing at the apex of their backs...

Yes, I know and always advice keeping a back up cockerel, but I have to rebuild their quarters this winter and can't keep them together anymore... another has requested him and is willing to do a genetics swap in spring as well...

So, until he goes to his new home, I've got him with the laying pullet and setting those eggs weekly... will band those chicks separately and grow them out to see what they turn out like... his attitude is ok, just gets a bit upset when anyone picks up the girls... the 1st cockerel has a super stellar personality, chicks will even hang out around him and he is amazing with them... it's not that the other has a bad attitude, just that his is so much more outstanding...

Edited pics

Last edited:
Ok so my chicks are around 1-2 months old and I've finally gotten the chance to check in their mouths without worrying I'm going to break them only to find out that I think every one of them have white tongues... Now will their tongues darken as they get older? If not, is this a major flaw and should I avoid trying to breed this group at all and just try to get more eggs/chicks? Or let them grow up to see how they turn out? I'm more interested in just breeding true to the breed over anything else, but starter stock is hard to come buy with these guys, but I don't want to dilute the genes anymore if I can help it.

Any thoughts? I have a thread with (I hope) detailed pics of each chick (minus their tongues) if anyone needs a better idea on where they would rank.

Back
Top Bottom