The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Less than 20 mins left on the pain auctions!!!
pop.gif

http://www.bidbird.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=961037311&from=&itemnum=0

Last edited:
According to resident experts, this is not possible
a paint from a paint to white mating
Dad is my original paint male direct from the Netherlands
Mom is a white American silkie
paint002.jpg

paint003.jpg

She has the American look, doesn't she?
paint004.jpg

paint005.jpg

paint006.jpg

paint007.jpg

Come April/May I will have several dozen 2nd Generation Dutch Paints for sale
currently have 3 silver back cocks, for sale from my paint to paint matings

If you look closely you will see the pigment holes in the eyes. Of this bird or birds. I am not sure if it is the same one.

Quote:
I noticed it too. This is what can be corrected by crossing to a black right? Does it matter whether it is male or female that is black? And same with the paint.

The direction you breed doesn't appear to have any difference. And yes...these holes in the pigment in eyes, soles of feet and even whole toes and feet needs to be corrected. For now...the experts I know believe black is the way. This is still a really new project in many ways even Europe.

Quote:
I really don't think that anyone here views themself as any kind of "resident expert", especially when we are talking about a color of which we don't know the genetics! The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss the breeding results. Your bird is very interesting, Jerry. I wouldn't have thought that you would get a paint from a breeding to a recessive white silkie......where did the white come from? Could it have come from a line carrying dominant white? There have been white silkies carrying dominant white genes before, but nobody did the test breedings to determine if it was dom or rec, at least as far as I know. But I saw pictures of Red Pyle Silkies about 5 or 6 years ago that could not have come about using recessive white lines. I don't presume to be any kind of a genetics guru, just another silkie breeder trying to figure this Paint thing out.

What is a silver back cock? Have any pictures? It is nice to have someone else posting who has been breeding Paint silkies, either Euro or American for a while....it can only help us all in this endeavor!

Deb in N TX

Quote:
I really don't think that anyone here views themself as any kind of "resident expert", especially when we are talking about a color of which we don't know the genetics! The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss the breeding results. Your bird is very interesting, Jerry. I wouldn't have thought that you would get a paint from a breeding to a recessive white silkie......where did the white come from? Could it have come from a line carrying dominant white? There have been white silkies carrying dominant white genes before, but nobody did the test breedings to determine if it was dom or rec, at least as far as I know. But I saw pictures of Red Pyle Silkies about 5 or 6 years ago that could not have come about using recessive white lines. I don't presume to be any kind of a genetics guru, just another silkie breeder trying to figure this Paint thing out.

What is a silver back cock? Have any pictures? It is nice to have someone else posting who has been breeding Paint silkies, either Euro or American for a while....it can only help us all in this endeavor!

Deb in N TX

Best guess is that the white was recessive white, which does not work with only one copy. Paint came from the paint parent, and as a dominant gene "shows." Why does it not also show red? Maybe the white carried silver, so there was no red to show? Maybe it also carried dominant white? Maybe the white was an E-gene black underneath the recessive white? Maybe ...?

Jerry, how many chicks did you hatch from that pairing, and were they all paints? if not, what other colours and percentages? Have you paired that (or other paints) to other whites to see those results? The more data collected, the more one can find answers as to what makes paint.

Back
Top Bottom