Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I decided to make this thread...
for people who have broody hens in their flock!

So, my first broody hen was a BO named Lucy.
Unfortunately, she did not hatch any chicks.

The rooster Lucy had bred with was not fertile.
She was trying to be a good mother, but that didn't work.

She took sick a few times, from long broody days.
Fine now, Lucy is here.

My second broody hen named Happy Feet, hatched 1 baby chick.
She never took sick, but when the chick hatched it was later than normal.

The 3rd broody? Wow, I have 3 hens of the same breed that went broody twice each! Trixie, Agnes, and Charlotte! I don't have rooster for them, but I'll stick the other flock's eggs under them.

My 4th broody is still broody and she is an adorable broody hen...
Speaking of which... I have a video! Her name is Molly!

I will put it on here, but first I think it is important to know how to put it on here... I don't know which button to click in order to upload a video. Let me know!

I hope you enjoy this thread!

Thanks for viewing!
-The Angry Hen

Hey there! Funny that your hen's name was Lucy, My currently broody serama hen's name is Lucille! She has been broody for the last couple of days (it's her first time, so I'm a little anxious of how she does). I would love to see the video! I'm not really sure how to post videos either unfortunately, so hopefully someone else knows how :)

I have some stories of a few of my broody hens. I have a leghorn who went broody in October!and hatched 2 chicks one had a health problem in her neck she couldn't breath well but well enough to stay alive sadly she disappeared one day but the was a rooster and I don't want roosters and of course with my luck he was the one to live their mama was not the best mama she was rough on them and she weined them early I think she did that because we had an abusive rooster who wanted to mount her for some reason super bad,she'd run and run but eventually he caught her I think that did something to her to wein her chicks so early (this rooster is no longer with us since that happened).i had a BO who was the best if other hens would look at her chicks she would fight just for looking at them and she was a first time mom so next time she goes broody she'll definitely get some eggs to hatch. Right now I have a black australorp who has gone broody before but we didn't have any fertalised eggs but this year I'll let her hatch some.

Hey there! Funny that your hen's name was Lucy, My currently broody serama hen's name is Lucille! She has been broody for the last couple of days (it's her first time, so I'm a little anxious of how she does). I would love to see the video! I'm not really sure how to post videos either unfortunately, so hopefully someone else knows how :)

That is funny!
Great minds think alike!

I hope Lucille is a good mother hen! Good luck! ;)

-The Angry Hen

I have some stories of a few of my broody hens. I have a leghorn who went broody in October!and hatched 2 chicks one had a health problem in her neck she couldn't breath well but well enough to stay alive sadly she disappeared one day but the was a rooster and I don't want roosters and of course with my luck he was the one to live their mama was not the best mama she was rough on them and she weined them early I think she did that because we had an abusive rooster who wanted to mount her for some reason super bad,she'd run and run but eventually he caught her I think that did something to her to wein her chicks so early (this rooster is no longer with us since that happened).i had a BO who was the best if other hens would look at her chicks she would fight just for looking at them and she was a first time mom so next time she goes broody she'll definitely get some eggs to hatch. Right now I have a black australorp who has gone broody before but we didn't have any fertalised eggs but this year I'll let her hatch some.

Great story!
Wow! October!

Wanna know something funny?
The second mother hen in my story is a BA too!
And the first is a BO.

I am glad your BO was a good mother!
I am sorry to here your leghorn wasn't the best.

I wish you the best of luck for your BA becoming a mother and you BO to be a mother again!

-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom