The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

What will be the result in egg color be in offspring of a Whiting True Blue rooster with Starlight Green egger hens who lay a range of light olive eggs to spearmint eggs now?
Blue eggs with a layer of brown on the outside look green, in different shades depending on the amount of brown.

From that cross, all eggs should have the blue base color, but various amounts of brown that makes them look shades of green.

In general, daughters from that cross should lay eggs with less brown than what their mothers had. So you will probably get eggs ranging from blue through spearmint into green, but missing the darkest few shades of the current range.

You can somewhat affect what shade of eggs you get in the next generation by hatching just the darkest eggs, or just the lightest eggs, although the differences will probably be small.

The chicks sure look silver. Maybe a very-dilute gold? (Something like a very pale cream, perhaps).

But I'm wondering if the rooster could be a gold/silver split. It's not common to see some red/gold leakage on split males, although I'm not sure if it can be as much as your rooster is showing. If he is, that would definitely explain the silver that appears to be present in the chicks.

Edited to cross out a "not" that didn't belong.
All the silver/gold splits I’ve seen have visible silver, which I don’t see in any of those roosters. I’m at starting to think cream or another gold diluter is a possibility?
As to the last part.. not sure if mine are correct but their tails are mostly bblack with that irredescent green quality and a spangle at the end..
They do look columbian to me, there’s just a few extra genes that are causing the excessive black.
Is it true if you breed a black Silkie to a white Silkie you get a paint? Thanks
I don't understand what is usually considered paint, unless it is simply a derivative of dominant white. I have had discussions concerning it and it seems whoever and myself that is in the discussion are never able to connect on whether it's a derivative or a seperate gene. I know how dominant white works, but from the discussions it seems I don't understand paint. In my breeding endeavors I have gotten chickens that in appearance look like the paint silkies, but they came from my dominant white birds and when they were bred to solid colored birds they produced just like the normal dominant whites do.
I'll have to leave that to the silkie color experts. Here is a silkie thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies-they’re-simply-spectacular.1334299/post-26551705
Everything I’ve read says that paint is heterozygous dominant white and extended black. However, it does present in very different ways on different birds, which I don’t understand. (For example, a heterozygous dominant white and black could have barely any black or could be half black and half white. In that case the mostly white bird usually isn’t considered paint despite having the same(?) genetics as the other one.)
I'm having a difficult time telling what color and patterns this guy has...and what the chicks from these two might look like.
Both are Satins
View attachment 3420364View attachment 3420366View attachment 3420367View attachment 3420369
I’m not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but your mixed gold partridge hen is also blue.
I am planning to get this Faverolles cockerel and the person that bred him as informed me he is growing some white feathers on his head. The breeder hasn’t mentioned if there is other white feathers hiding on him.

I cannot view him as he’s a plane ride away! He’ll be transported in a couple of weeks via small animal courier.

View attachment 3426828

I was being hopeful in thinking some of the white was pin feather sheaths.

I understand this is a fault for this variety, but he is otherwise promising. Also, this breed is very hard to find in my area, let alone this colour.

View attachment 3426849

Is it known what causes the occasional white feather growing on a black bird? As his sire also has white feathers on the same location (see image below), I feel it’s fairly safe to assume it’s a dominant trait and not a juvenile plumage issue.

Could there be test matings to confirm whatever is happening genetically? Or culling subsequent birds with the white feather fault is sufficient?

View attachment 3426855

Thank you once again!
That random white could also be silver leakage, and if that’s the case it won’t show up as much on his daughters.
Speaking about side sprigs. Dino has them, but don't show them in current pictures(Frostbite, & hen pecking). None of his offspring ended up with side sprigs. So, I don't think you'd have to worry about it popping up, at all, or at least rarely.

Old pictures. View attachment 3427089View attachment 3427090
If it’s recessive it could still show up later. Does anyone know if side sprigs are dominant or recessive?

All the silver/gold splits I’ve seen have visible silver, which I don’t see in any of those roosters. I’m at starting to think cream or another gold diluter is a possibility?
Not sure if he's old enough to tell anything more yet...but this is the oldest of the chicks now. He's still got a lot of color changing to do before he's grown, but buff and orange are coming in.
20230311_220135.jpg
20230311_220026.jpg
20230311_214916.jpg
20230311_214754.jpg

Not sure if he's old enough to tell anything more yet...but this is the oldest of the chicks now. He's still got a lot of color changing to do before he's grown, but buff and orange are coming in. View attachment 3430394View attachment 3430395View attachment 3430396View attachment 3430397
I could see him being a diluted gold, his coloring looks similar to a citron booted bantam, which are gold (I believe they’re mille fleur with the cream gene). I can’t recall if you mentioned what breed you’re working with?

I could see him being a diluted gold, his coloring looks similar to a citron booted bantam, which are gold (I believe they’re mille fleur with the cream gene). I can’t recall if you mentioned what breed you’re working with?
Olandsk Dwarfs. I believe I see black breasted red, duckwing and Millie fluer in them. All mixed up with some heterogeneous and some homogeneous. Does the cream gene show in the parents?
Silver/Gold Split Mille Fleur. Still has the Columbian gene though.
Definitely has Columbian. Still looks like a gold silver gene based bird?

I just looked at pictures of the citron booted and he is looking kinda like that so far! Off to read about cream genes.

Olandsk Dwarfs. I believe I see black breasted red, duckwing and Millie fluer in them. All mixed up with some heterogeneous and some homogeneous. Does the cream gene show in the parents?

Yes, Gold/Silver split. Only works for males, since females can only have either gold, or silver, but not both.

Cream is recessive, so the parents don’t need to look cream to produce cream offspring. Also, black breasted red is duckwing based (like mille fleur is columbian based) it just has the mahogany gene too (making it red duckwing instead of gold duckwing).

Back
Top Bottom