The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I may test to see if it's genetic related though. May do a back crossing with Big Fatty, & her father, just to see what happens. Or just hatch more Malays, & see if I get another oddball.

Yes. I can’t wait to see the final transformation
Here she is in her glory. In the pic with 4 hens, she is in the back. I think she is pretty, but oh my goodness, what a difference.

Attachments

• zSelena post nolt 4.jpg
    zSelena post nolt 4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
  • zSelena post molt 1.jpg
    zSelena post molt 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2
What I'm doing currently is getting rid of 2 EE roosters I don't need(Keeping 1 EE rooster), this will reduce accidental crossings that I don't need. They're being replaced by colorful laying pullets(No accidental egg mix ups).
I'm keeping a couple Silkie roosters, in the group of Malays, that way I have kind of a combined project group(Giant Silkies, & my PBA project)
Brahma pullets will be added(For Giant Silkie Project)

Gonna start butchering Friday, which is tomorrow. Removing unneeded birds.

So there'll be a total of kept:

2 Malay Roosters(Trying to rehome my Splash Wheaten Rooster)

1 Malay cockerel(Separate Coop right now)

3 Malay Hens

2 Malay Pullets(Big Fatty, is in a separate coop)

1 EE Rooster

1-2 Silkie Roosters

2 Ayam Ketawa Pullets(Small Cream/tinted eggs)

3 Brahma Pullets(Don't have currently)

1 Crested Cream Legbar pullet

1 Black Ameraucana Pullet

1 Olive Egger Pullet

1 Green Queen Pullet

Last edited:
Hmm, just seems awfully suspicious to me. You're not out there 24/7 to be 100% sure that no one else is breeding them, and 3 weeks is an estimate, some have had their birds remain fertilized for a month or more after a male has been removed from a flock. Just seems... odd that so many things would differ on this one bird. I don't know, it feels a bit disingenuous to me to proclaim you've got another rare mutation that's happened when it seems like anyone else would look at this bird and say she's probably a mix. :idunno I'll drop it at that, though, I really doubt we'll ever agree on this point.
It would certainly explain the willow legs, when all the pictured Malays seem to have yellow...
pretty certain
There it is. Pretty certain is not 100% certain. Meaning unless she was produced from a pen of pure Malays, where only Malays were present, I wouldn't make the claim that she is Malay.

I'm going to have the same problem with the Araucanas next year. The younger birds think fences are for hopping. I'm going to have to get them fully enclosed.

It would certainly explain the willow legs, when all the pictured Malays seem to have yellow...

There it is. Pretty certain is not 100% certain. Meaning unless she was produced from a pen of pure Malays, where only Malays were present, I wouldn't make the claim that she is Malay.

I'm going to have the same problem with the Araucanas next year. The younger birds think fences are for hopping. I'm going to have to get them fully enclosed.
I say pretty certain alot, it's a habit. Generally I mean I'm 100% certain.

She was from a pen of a Malay hen, & Malay rooster. It was a separate pair.

Do you have any better pics of her legs? In addition to them being off-color, they looked a little scaley leg mite-y. You might take a peek. I picked up a White Orpington hen that I need to treat.
Free of Scaly leg mites. She has what I call eagle feet due to her claws.
20221030_164213.jpg
20221030_164222.jpg

Back
Top Bottom