The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

He's Paint but he has leakage.

Paint is made with 1 copy of Dominant White. I think of it as Whiteout because it makes sense for me why the black spots are so random.
Leghorns, for instance, have 2 copies of Dominant White. It is able to cover and hide all black (and black based colors like blue, lav, choc).
So, when there's only some Whiteout being applied. black spots are left.

But what it doesn't cover very well is Red. Just like red wine on the carpet, it may be diluted but it will show. If there's any red genes they will leak through, thus it's hard to get rid of.

Only breed him to your whitest or clean black (& derivatives) birds that you know are not hiding red genes.
Wait ok if I get a pure white silky would that be good? What about my blue silky?

Well than I need a white silky lol I have him in with two blacks two different blues and a paint.

It depends what color(s) you want to breed for. I was just saying that you should avoid birds with red in their backgrounds to work on cleaning up the leakage. If your Paint hen is clean you can get some clean chicks but you will have to diligently assess them all.
Bred to black and black based colors like blue may help to clean out the red if they don't have any hiding. Of course the first generation chicks won't produce Paint, as far as I understand it. So, what are you hoping to breed for?

It depends what color(s) you want to breed for. I was just saying that you should avoid birds with red in their backgrounds to work on cleaning up the leakage. If your Paint hen is clean you can get some clean chicks but you will have to diligently assess them all.
Bred to black and black based colors like blue may help to clean out the red if they don't have any hiding. Of course the first generation chicks won't produce Paint, as far as I understand it. So, what are you hoping to breed for?
I love the paint but both him and the female paint I have are from the same line with the leakage. I think imma try to introduce some pure blacks and whites into my flock n play round for a while. I do like super funky calico paint all different colored ones. I got one roo that I think is awesome n fun looking and super sweet! I’ll breed him for now..he is from the paint hen he’s a silky mixed with a my fibro columbian guy. Check ‘em out….. I kinda wanna c him silky feathered…….. that’s his daddy fly by night he rocks and is so sweet !im totally just playing round with my backyard flock….

Attachments

• 50328A88-E09B-40CE-8517-E5D1232327C3.jpeg
    50328A88-E09B-40CE-8517-E5D1232327C3.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 3
  • E9619C00-BBDB-4441-84A4-C85AFD53A295.jpeg
    E9619C00-BBDB-4441-84A4-C85AFD53A295.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 2
First gen between a paint and a black would make about 50% paints and 50% blacks

I have good news, my Parole was accepted and I will be flying to Utah in a few weeks. Now the Parole is only for 2 years, but likely be extended, I will Trying my best to start a bussines with Ideas that I have been testing for about a decade now but have not been succesful due to the issues of importing the raw chemicals and materials from the USA to Nicaragua which were very complex, took too long and made the profit marging too small, now being in the USA I could order the same materials and have it delivered in 3 days instead of 3 weeks, no customs. I am not sure if I will have time to start a new pultry project but I will try.

I have good news, my Parole was accepted and I will be flying to Utah in a few weeks. Now the Parole is only for 2 years, but likely be extended, I will Trying my best to start a bussines with Ideas that I have been testing for about a decade now but have not been succesful due to the issues of importing the raw chemicals and materials from the USA to Nicaragua which were very complex, took too long and made the profit marging too small, now being in the USA I could order the same materials and have it delivered in 3 days instead of 3 weeks, no customs. I am not sure if I will have time to start a new pultry project but I will try.

Oh, how cool!
So is it like a visa program? Or are you a citizen / resident? I only ask because the laws about licensing a business can get challenging. We probably have members here with expertise in this stuff! To help you navigate the bureaucracy.

I love the paint but both him and the female paint I have are from the same line with the leakage. I think imma try to introduce some pure blacks and whites into my flock n play round for a while. I do like super funky calico paint all different colored ones. I got one roo that I think is awesome n fun looking and super sweet! I’ll breed him for now..he is from the paint hen he’s a silky mixed with a my fibro columbian guy. Check ‘em out….. I kinda wanna c him silky feathered…….. that’s his daddy fly by night he rocks and is so sweet !im totally just playing round with my backyard flock….
His sister from paint mama and this ROO is black so they are both half silky…… what would I get if I breed him back to his sister? I’d like some more him …. Could that give me silky feather with his coloring? I’m told his daddy is Columbian.

Last edited:
His sister from paint mama and this ROO is black so they are both half silky…… what would I get if I breed him back to his sister? I’d like some more him …. Could that give me silky feather with his coloring? I’m told he’s Columbian
What do you mean, half silkie? I thought the rooster and the paint were both silkies

What do you mean, half silkie? I thought the rooster and the paint were both silkies
Gosh sorry the original guy with the red leakage is silky. I confused you I’m sorry! I have 5 ROOs 🤦🏻‍♀️ the ones I just posted young crazy colored guy is half paint from my paint hen and the and his daddy ( in the picture) I also got a black hen from paint mama and fly by night rooster same mama and daddy. What I meant was what if I bread them together? The two half Silkys could I possibly get a crazy colored silky feathered baby? I know only 50/50 would be silky feathered. I’m learning a ton about genetics from these threads I’m sorry I did not mean to confuse anyone. I’m just having fun playing with different coloring and behavior.

Back
Top Bottom