The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

lau.gif
I was wondering what chicken "shocks" were. I guess that's what you get when your significant other returns with more chickens! LOL

I think gold laced orps are fairly rare, so I'm not sure if there is such a bantam. I'm sure they'd be very, very pretty if you found them.

@Jillian12 I'll have Black & Chocolate bantams available in a few months, as the days get longer & my hens start laying more consistently.

I'm just a few hours north of you in Oakland.

Well my Bantam breeding program is coming together. I have some Blacks and Chocolates which go back to Orp Galore imports. And because of my good friend Greg Mignot, I have added some Clive Carefoot import blood; a pair of Blacks split to Mottle and a Wheaton cock over a Buff Columbian hen. I am so excited about the color possibilities from this group. I will also be working to add the Birchen pattern to my bantams which include the possibilities of Brown Reds, Lemon Blues as well as Silver Birchen in Blue and Chocolate. I can't wait to start hatching !!!!!!!! I still want to add a BBS line as well as Lavenders. Wish me luck and stay tuned...... I will have a FB farm page up soon.

Well I already was set up with LF, so I knew what colors I wanted and what projects I wanted to work on. It was just a matter of finding stock. I still want to add Lavender and BBS. I have both lined up just waiting on chicks. No reason to hesitate with breding season already on us.

Has anyone used a bantam Orp as a broody? If so, about how many large fowl eggs can they incubate successfully?
Sorry; I don't have any helpful data on this:
Although mine are finishing their first molt, they did go through a short broody period, but nothing really serious. My true bantams are the same age, and have hatched two clutches. It should be interesting what my Orps will do this spring.

Has anyone used a bantam Orp as a broody? If so, about how many large fowl eggs can they incubate successfully?
Mine were ridiculously broody last year (as pullets). I never let them set any eggs, but they should be able to do the same number as Silkies or more. My Silkie successfully hatched and raised 3 LF eggs, but I would imagine that they could handle a few more.

Back
Top Bottom