The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Anyone remember butterball?

We had some nice weather over the weekend, so I took some pics.

Here's our bantam orp = COOKIE
love.gif

Hi Cookie! How many times did she go broody last year? My bantam orps seem to be setting about twice a year. I think my splash hen is getting ready to go broody right now; she keeps sitting on her egg longer and longer each morning.

Hi Cookie! How many times did she go broody last year? My bantam orps seem to be setting about twice a year. I think my splash hen is getting ready to go broody right now; she keeps sitting on her egg longer and longer each morning.
Cookie went broody 5xs her 1st year. (I only let her hatch 3 of those times.)

Last year she hatched 4xs. Her chicks hatched early March, late May, Aug, and Oct. She thought about going broody in Dec but the cold helped keep her in check. Cookie seemed to go through a cycle of laying daily eggs, then thinking about going broody (= about 3-7 days of spending more time in nest box), then 3 weeks of full broody & hatching eggs, raising chicks for 4-6 weeks, back to laying for 2 weeks, then going broody all over again. For that reason, I'm glad I only have one bantam orp. (Other people report that broodiness is highly contagious.)

Thankfully Cookie doesn't lose a lot of weight like some broodies. Sometimes she molts a little but eating the high protein chick feed with her babies seems to help her grow those feathers back more quickly.

Don't let her adorable appearance fool you. Cookie can hold her own against our giant English Orpingtons.

Well, my splash hen is broody alright. I decided to order chicks for her this time instead of giving her fertile eggs. How many LF Orp chicks do you think a bantam Orp can cover @Faraday40 ? I ordered 8 but the breeder sometimes sends a few extras.

Well, my splash hen is broody alright. I decided to order chicks for her this time instead of giving her fertile eggs. How many LF Orp chicks do you think a bantam Orp can cover @Faraday40 ? I ordered 8 but the breeder sometimes sends a few extras.

Willing to take any extra chicks off your hands if they don't fit under momma!
frow.gif

lol.png

What color(s) did you order @Honora ?

Willing to take any extra chicks off your hands if they don't fit under momma!
frow.gif

lol.png

What color(s) did you order @Honora ?

I ordered chocolate & chocolate cuckoo. Can't keep them all though, totally willing to trade LF for bantams if I end up with extra pullets.
wink.png
What are you hatching this year?

Back
Top Bottom