The best broody breed

I have had several breeds go broody, Easter egger, Barred rock, black Austrolop and right now a 6 month old Red sexlink but with those breeds it is hit or miss, i am going to get some Cochins next because a friend has them and they go broody often

I have had several breeds go broody, Easter egger, Barred rock, black Austrolop and right now a 6 month old Red sexlink but with those breeds it is hit or miss, i am going to get some Cochins next because a friend has them and they go broody often
I have standard size Cochins and over 50% go broody.

I dont know if there is a best broody breed and plenty of great breeds that will get the job done have been mentioned but for me Chanteclers have been the best. They're a great sustainable breed that lay year round with slow down periods and not all of them go broody. I do love seeing these hens flock together with chicks foraging.
IMG_2358.JPG

I have English orpingtons. They go broody all summer. My lavenders are on their 2nd brood this summer and my chocolates are on their 3rd. You can have the 2 chocolates if you want. Seriously.

In my personal experience, there's no better broody plus no better mom than Aseel hens. They are not only great setters, but are also excellent teachers. I have seen them spanking slow learners. They are very protective, but they don't hate their owners. They like human company, so it's easy to inspect chicks under her.

Aseel. Nothing can beat an aseel hen
I second this. Asil are the best moms. American Gamefowl and Red Junglefowl also do excellent. All three of these here are constantly broody. They go directly from laying a clutch of eggs to sitting on eggs to raising babies. It's a never ending cycle and creates far more chickens than I know what to do with

Now many people suggest Silkies, Cochins and Brahmas , I have nothing against those breeds, but I am not so sure about foraging and escaping capabilities. Silkies for example they can only cover a small amount of eggs, they are poor foragers , they do terrible in mixed flocks. Always remain at the bottom of the pecking order, mine didn't even roost well . Aseels on the other hand are excellent foragers, plus they are also very alert. They are always on the top of any mixed flock.

Now many people suggest Silkies, Cochins and Brahmas , I have nothing against those breeds, but I am not so sure about foraging and escaping capabilities. Silkies for example they can only cover a small amount of eggs, they are poor foragers , they do terrible in mixed flocks. Always remain at the bottom of the pecking order, mine didn't even roost well . Aseels on the other hand are excellent foragers, plus they are also very alert. They are always on the top of any mixed flock.

I'm not sure people are taking foraging/free ranging into account when giving out suggestions. I personally know my brahma are terrible about foraging, those feathered feet make it harder for them to properly dig around

Back
Top Bottom