The best protection??

HanaleeFarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Last week we sadly had our first intruder murder all our 13 chickens... blah. So disappointed. We hadn't had a chance yet to put the netting over the run, and a raccoon ( I assume because the chickens heads were pulled off, well, the two bodies left). We had another flock we sold a couple years back that lived in the same run, just with netting over the run, and never had an issue... ever. We were buying time in reality, very sad for the life lost. We ended up burning down the old house-- the scene of the crime. It was great release for me, but now we have ordered more chicks we will receive soon and must rebuild. We are in Kansas, and it gets quite warm. We are fairly sure of the plan for the new house, but my question is:

Should we use the same run and build a new house inside? Would a raccoon come back and be persistent enough to rip a roof, then rip through the window screens?

What is the best screening for windows?

Is relocation necessary (I want to relocate the coop entirely, my husband thinks it is in the best spot and wants to keep it where it is).

So, what do you think. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

So sorry for your loss.
sad.png
What my husband and I did was to use 4 dog kennels, 10 x 10 size. It's chain link and we covered the top with hardware cloth. The holes are way to small for the coons to get in. I can't let my girls free range because of the hawks so we keep them in the pen. We live in Florida and it's terribly hot here as well. I was concerned for the girls but I am told that the girls pant and hold their wings out to cool off. Some people use fans or mist sprayers.

Good luck and I hope you don't have any more intruders.

sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
the best thing to do is to secure the run, doors, windows with welded wire, the one with small squares, chicken wire is only good to keep chickens IN.

Do you think the raccoon will return, though? I guess if there is strong enough wire, he will give up?

Relocating it isn't going to make a bit of difference. Racoons have a territory they travel each night, can be a mile or so, looking for food. They have a good sense of smell and will follow scents on the wind a long way.

Your best bet is a combination of a good defense (the proper fencing, secure run, top screens, no holes that birds can stick heads through or animals can stick paws or snouts through) and a good offense in the form of live traps. If you don't own at least one, go to your hardware or feed store and buy a live trap large enough to capture a raccoon for about $40-$50, set it, bait it with something stinky like tuna or fish flavored cat food, and start eliminating or at least diminishing your problem.

So, I'm not sure what to do, and I kinda plan to use the reactions on the forum as weight either for my husband to win or me to win
wink.png
... do we relocate the coop or not? If a raccoon will return, and I do realize we have many here, should we start from scratch with the run, too-- put it in an entirely new area and, of course, never make the same mistake twice and build better, stronger? The surround of the run now is chicken wire with a double layer of bricks on both sides. And is it best to screen the windows with hardware cloth?! Thank you all, so much!

It doesn't matter whether you relocate or not as far as the racoons go. What you have to do is build well and secure enough that they can come and go and not get in....and that means no chicken wire.

Quote:
Super. Thank you. I suppose we will leave the coop in the same spot, but re-do the surround! Thank you! Prayers for these new ladies soon to be here!!! <3

Good luck! You will find that you will rest easier with them better secured. I prefer the hardware cloth but others use the dog panels or a combination of welded wire with hardware cloth around the lower part.

Back
Top Bottom