The Big Move

I posted a picture where the water container is showing. Post #22
I thought that might be it, but thought you might have changed it by now. That is not deep enough to get their nares wet. Good for chickens, but not so much for ducks. You can keep the water issues down by using a container (sour cream, cool whip, something like that) with the lid cut out so that there is enough room for them to dip their nares in. I place mine on a cake pan. I just bought an aluminum one, but any tray would work to catch the splashed water.

Good info regarding feeding ducks and it mentions niacin and brewers yeast.

http://www.thecapecoop.com/feeding-your-backyard-ducks/

This is basically the same info in Storey's guide, but like everything on the internet - you still want to research. There are other duck books recommended on byc, but I can't remember the names of them. If I find them, I will post those as well.

Hey everyone I have a new issue. Think it’s over heating but want to make sure. One of my two ducklings has a very soft every now and then sneeze and kind of a heavy breathing and open mouth. But when I let them out of brooder like for a bath it stops. I also have been since Wednesday treating for upper respiratory with tylan just in case. Any suggestions? They are starting to get their new white feathers in so I’m thinking the overheating option.

Probably over heated do you know your brooder temps? Pekins seem to over heat more than other breeds.

@onaharley has one of her Pekins that does this.

Well I have it in a range from 90-right under the light an 60/65 farthest from it. But they are always in the light right next to the water dish. I have turned the heat to the other end and she is no longer panting but instead resting with her beak tucked under her wing. Still has a great appetite. Ugh I’m she doesn’t follow the symptoms and signs I’ve read about.

I'd be careful with the antibiotics. They can build up resistance to them same as us.

Next time your at the feed store or on line look for VetRX it's great for respiratory issues and should be first to use before going to antibiotics. Also a few doses of ACV into the drinking water it's a great tonic for our birds and us. 1Tab to 1 gal of water daily.

If your not seeing any discharge from nares or eyes or swelling around the face or sounds of congestion most likely the lil one is just too warm especially if when you take it out from under the light it stops.

My vet told me to do the tylan.... ya she has none of those just the loud quick breathing and sneezes every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom