The Bird That Won't Eat

MixFlocksRule13

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
Hey y'all, me again.

So, yesterday, my brother and I were moving stuff to our she'd when we saw a baby bird... Well, not exactly a baby, but he was too young to fend for himself. It was a little Robin, and he couldn't really fly, but he could flutter short distances.

So I found a big green feed tub, put a water dish in, a dog bowl full of straw and grass as a nest, an old chick feeder full of C.O.B., and some branches and leaves around the edges to make it feel more natural and comfy.

The only problem is that he wouldn't eat the C.O.B., and I tried freeze-dried gut-loaded crickets, as well as bitsof strawberry, but he just simply won't eat.

Does anybody have any tactics to get a bird like him to eat?

P.S. His name is Birdie (my brother gave him the most imaginative name ever 🤣) and he is very friendly and affectionate. Loves perching on everything, thinks a mural in our tack room isn't flat on the wall and that he can perch on it, hates being held, loves being pet, and made me rub my hand in his crap... I was trying to help him nest, but I didn't see the bird dookie and rubbed my hand in it.

1591392041843.png
Sounds like you found a fledgling. Please put it back where you found it as soon as possible so the parents can continue to feed and look after it. If the parents don't come back (not likely if you put it back ASAP) you should bring it to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area who can properly care for it. It will not eat chick feed and probably won't even feed itself, by this age it is used to having meals delivered by a parent bird and is not likely to accept food from you unless it's really starving.

View attachment 2178524Sounds like you found a fledgling. Please put it back where you found it as soon as possible so the parents can continue to feed and look after it. If the parents don't come back (not likely if you put it back ASAP) you should bring it to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area who can properly care for it. It will not eat chick feed and probably won't even feed itself, by this age it is used to having meals delivered by a parent bird and is not likely to accept food from you unless it's really starving.
i had 1 fall into my aviary yesterday....ds sent a pic while i was at work.....it was cheeping wanting the quail to feed it.....when i got home i was planning to mash up some worms and attempt to hand-feed it but sadly it expired i. the heat before i was able to get home 😭😭😭

Hey y'all, me again.

So, yesterday, my brother and I were moving stuff to our she'd when we saw a baby bird... Well, not exactly a baby, but he was too young to fend for himself. It was a little Robin, and he couldn't really fly, but he could flutter short distances.

So I found a big green feed tub, put a water dish in, a dog bowl full of straw and grass as a nest, an old chick feeder full of C.O.B., and some branches and leaves around the edges to make it feel more natural and comfy.

The only problem is that he wouldn't eat the C.O.B., and I tried freeze-dried gut-loaded crickets, as well as bitsof strawberry, but he just simply won't eat.

Does anybody have any tactics to get a bird like him to eat?

P.S. His name is Birdie (my brother gave him the most imaginative name ever 🤣) and he is very friendly and affectionate. Loves perching on everything, thinks a mural in our tack room isn't flat on the wall and that he can perch on it, hates being held, loves being pet, and made me rub my hand in his crap... I was trying to help him nest, but I didn't see the bird dookie and rubbed my hand in it.
Did you feed it to him? When I used to find baby birds we would feed them like mom does. Hold food above his head and he’ll open his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom