The brats are wastin feed like mad!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sfgwife, Mar 21, 2018.

1. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki
    Grrrrr. I have twoish week old bcm, langashan and br chicks. These monsters are wastin feed like crazy. I have the typical chick feeder round tall thinger with the holes for their noggins. I filled it last night and today.... the only bit that is left is in the bottom of the dish. I put it on a brick to try help this a week ago and it hasnt helped. These are the first we have had to just pick it out like this. They do have a good sized dish with dirt in it to bath and play and lay in..... any other ideas to keep them from this? I am debatin not fillin it up and just lettin them scratch the floor of the brooder for their feed cause that is where it all goes now anyway.

Star and eclipsa likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Have you considered converting to fermented feed? That will improve your feed conversion rate, and prevent the spillage.

3. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki

Dont wanna do fermented feed. We already have a flock of 21 grown and are just addin to them.

4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    When ever mine empty a feeder, I take the feeder out for a couple of hours and let the scratch in the bedding for what they spilled. It is a good way to encourage them to clean up.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've had a flock of up to 50, add to it every spring and use FF for adults AND chicks to prevent the waste and to improve my feed conversion rate. Makes a huge improvement in my feed bill.

sfgwife and Smuvers Farm like this.
  6. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki
  7. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki

That is what i was thinkin of doin.

8. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki
    Just not interested in doin the ff. Thanks though.

9. Doesn't matter if they are babies or adults, I do the same. Well.....I don't even take it out. I just leave the feeder in there until they eat all their food. Doesn't matter to me if it is from the feeder or from the floor. I like to think they are learning a lesson. I know they aren't, but I can act like they are.

Cyprus and sfgwife like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: