The broodies win- they have their eggs. NOW WHAT??

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
We have 2 gals gone broody.The chickens are D'Uccle & cochin mixes, and 3 silkies. The silkies aren't the broody ones. They are all right around a year old, and this is the second time they have gone broody in the past 6 months. I let them sit on eggs while I decided if I was going to let them continue sitting. I marked some eggs, and let them sit. Yesterday was day 7, and I braved the shrieking and pecking and biting, and they end up with 6 eggs that have good veins.
Basically, I never had a hen hatch eggs. I have read on here so many different things, but I am so unsure how to proceed to keep everyone happy and keep the chicks safe.
Do I seperate the 2 broodies from each other? Do I seperate them from the rest of the gals? Will they fight over chicks? Right now, they seem to be fine - sitting right next to each other, gently stealing each others eggs. It's actually very cute to see.
Part of me thinks how chickens have been raising babies for many years without human intervention, so just leave them alone. But the human side of me worries that the first chick that hatches will be pecked to death by the broody who didn't hatch it, or by the other gals.
I am really unsure how to proceed. Any thoughts? What worked for you?

From my experience the broodies were fine with each other and the chicks. I had two that hatched and raised chicks together without problems. The other hens were a problem when the chicks were hatching.

I usually leave mine alone until right before the hatch starts, then I put them in a cage or crate inside the coop. I've never had issues moving them at that point. I usually just put the box, they are sitting in, right into the cage.

Once the hatch is over and the hen has them up for a day or two, I open the door and let the hen decide when to bring them out. The hens usually just take the chicks out into the coop the first few days, then they venture outside. Only problem I have at that point, is it takes three or four days for the chicks to figure out how to use the ramp to go back into the coop. Just have to make sure they have help at dusk or bad weather until they figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom