The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I think so. We got a small zip lock plastic bag (5 lb) so the artwork is a little different and it says "SunFresh Recipe" on it, but I went to the Purina site you looked it up on and that is the only one even close. I don't know if that is any better / worse than any other brand, but it was what our feed store had in smaller bags.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I knkw you didn't ask me, but figured another option would help in case you're limited where you are... I feed Purina Flock Raiser from hatch to lay as well... never any issues and no adjustment period switching feed... :)

I totally recognized that look! :gig

That is the, "No, really, I AM as sweet an innocent as I look... do not pay attention to what I am going to do..."

3. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    In my case, I feed pellets to the adults (less mess) so the 'lings would at least need their own bag of crumble even if I stayed with the same food. So far, there has been no "adjustment period" because they have a few transition days where they eat with the big ducks while they are having supervised visits, then come back in and eat their crumble. (Based on flock with Tella and Ettie then Noir and Mystique with flock - these guys are nowhere close to visiting yet [​IMG])
    If you zoom in, you will see Latte's toe bends around into Casey's bill. For some reason since day one, Casey just wants to eat Latte's toes... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Pellets for adults would be perfect... unfortunately for us, only the crumble is our best choice as the only pellets available here have the added calcium... my ducks have no problem eating oyster shell on the side as needed and I just don't want my drakes getting that which they don't need... :/

Casey heard Lattes taste good! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Following- those widdle ducks must be the cutest things EVER!!!! :love

1 person likes this.
  6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Ok, @Tevyes Dad & @MamaDux here is my interpretation of hooooopoooose... first you inhale on the hoooooo and exhale on the pooooose... it is a combination of attitude, settling and the profile of what adds up to the awesomeness of DUCK... I feel it is most expressed in the settled down pancakitoons position but can also be seen while standing... note the distinct prominence of the floatation device while the neck is folded up with the bill resting close to or on the said flotation device...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hooooopoooose... how's that, @Julie Bird ? :D

3 people like this.
  7. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    LOL...yes, yes, I'm sure that's it!! "Hooooopoooose" is also often inspired by those chubby call cheeks as well as the juxtaposition of webbies on things such as towels and wood floors. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I love the pancakitoons position yall couldn't have explained it any better. [​IMG]

9. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Today, 4 groups of friends came over averaging 2 kids each to see the ducks / 'lings. Tevye and Rhiannon took turns being the ambassador ducks (that means being caught, held and pet for kids amusement - according to the ducks: [​IMG] - according to the kids: [​IMG]). The 'lings were handled quite a bit and were very good about it. But it was a very long day for them. They did have opportunities to eat, drink and sleep between each visit (part of the reason the adult ducks were brought into the fold). Because of this, we didn't give them a "private" socialization session today (at least not yet.) But they did get a midday weigh in:

Latte: 2.6oz (up 13%)
    Casey: 2.8oz (up 17%)
    Allie: 3.5oz (up 21%)

After sooo much activity today, the 'lings were tuckered out...

As a point of reference... Yesterday Allie(L) weighed about the same as Casey(C) does today...
    [​IMG]

For this picture, Latte and Casey will temporarily be named Yin and Yang.
    [​IMG]

Allie is growing the most so she was soooooo tired.
    [​IMG]

10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Awwwwwww!!! :love

Yin and Yang is too cute... Allie is getting so big, so fast... and my fave narcoleptic duckie bill drop... cannot get enough of the cuteness!!

And big Way to Go to Rhiannon and Tevye for not aiming duck bombs on the offending attention giving visitors...
    :thumbsup

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by