The Brooding of Allie, Casey and Latte

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

That is just so precious[​IMG]

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Precious, sleepy babies!! [​IMG]

3. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

4. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    They are all doing a great at their primary job: growing [​IMG] ([​IMG])

Casey 3.2oz up 14%
    Latte 3.3oz up 27%
    Allie 4.1 oz up 17%

So that was two weight accomplishments. Latte put on the burst of growth required to get ahead of Casey (which she should be) so that now the 'lings are in the expected order by weight. Allie broke the 1/4 lb barrier. Today instead of "role call, they got to go swimming for the first time. Yesterday they did a little wading. They difference being that yesterday they could walk on the deep side of the tub and they didn't do any swimming, just some preening and washing actions plus a good cleaning of their nares. Today, the smaller ones could touch on the shallow side and Allie could touch up to about half way, but in the deep end, they had to swim. They were surprisingly water repellent for the first time. At least one of them must have their preen gland working (they snuggle enough that one could be coating them all). My previous ducklings were soaked to the skin after a bath like this.

[​IMG]

This was the last few minutes of a 15 minute swim... They seemed to really enjoy it.

5. MamaDux

MamaDux Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2015
    Big Sky Country
    Thank you, @RavynFallen - that's a great explanation [​IMG] - our WH Rhiannon does this all the time. And our little girls do it too.

6. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    After their swim, the lings preened under the heat lamp for a few minutes. They ate a little bit and then peeped wanting to come out some more. We brought them out on the blanket and they ran around for a bit. I set my phone down and they immediately ran over clicked on firefox, the home screen with recent sites came up and they pecked on BYC. About 3 seconds after I set my phone down, they were on BYC! They had already texted a friend of mine about 4 texts the day before and because of swype, they sent him actual words...[​IMG] So I took the phone so they wouldn't end up making entries and they gave me the duckie pout face (OK, they looked up at the phone like they wanted it...). So I brought up "Where's My Water" They really loved it. They only thing I must caution you about if you try this with your 'lings. Don't do it if your Google Play Store is set up to make in app purchases without a password. There were several times they tried to buy additional add-ons for the game. [​IMG]

Latte: Pecking the green stuff doesn't work...
    [​IMG]

Allie: Casey, move your foot, I'm trying to dig the water into the loop...
    [​IMG]

Allie: Latte - back off it's my turn...
    [​IMG]

Quick, he's not looking, let's get BYC back up...
    [​IMG]

Allie: Hey! All the water's gone...
    [​IMG]

Hey look! If I peck the crocodile he jumps.
    [​IMG]

7. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Oh my goodness, that is too cute!!! :gig -Banti

8. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Is it Spring yet?? Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    LOVED THIS!!! What were those little bits they were eating?

9. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Tiny pieces of romaine just for something to float and give them a purpose (we forgot to get the kale yesterday but we did get the chick grit so they can explore a little bit - not much yet with something that isn't a crumble).

1 person likes this.
  10. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    ~!!!!!!!!SSSSSSQQQQQQQQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ Cutest 'Lings EEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by