The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

We had great luck with our Cayugas this year, first time moms. Our first made her nest in the barn, and hatched out 2, then our other mom who made her nest up against the house under the dryer vent :) hatched out a dozen. Somehow she wound up raising all 14, and she is doing a great job so far. Fingers crossed for lots of girls!

How tiny, was the duckling a later hatch, I haven't been able to stay updated much in the last 2 weeks having 3 teen grankids here. and love the guardian angel great you were able to catch it in a pic.
smile.png
She hatched 6 days later. What a difference is size. Unfortunately her small size has made her a target for not only the older ducklings but for Mom. I am building a grow-out area for ducklings who hatch late or early. I am also considering other duck breeds with stronger maternal instincts. It's hard watching the littlest ones get rejected or neglected by their Moms. Any suggestions?

Our Cayugas are excellent moms - to the point where they take other moms' babies :) Ours free range during the day and she does a great job protecting them from crows, other ducks in the flock, the little boy next door, you name it :)

She hatched 6 days later. What a difference is size. Unfortunately her small size has made her a target for not only the older ducklings but for Mom. I am building a grow-out area for ducklings who hatch late or early. I am also considering other duck breeds with stronger maternal instincts. It's hard watching the littlest ones get rejected or neglected by their Moms. Any suggestions?
Sounds like the grow out pen might be your only choice, we can't do anything about these ducks who don't have the mothering instinct I have had a few too. Watching the neglected ones helps but that can be a 24hr job too. When mine don't do well in the mothering department I give them one more chance especially being first timers, if second time they still don't get it they don't get to brood again.

My lightening has turned out to be a great mom. The ducklings will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I will be allowing them out of their pen to see the pond and daddy. He has sat outside their fence alot watching over them and wagging his tail, I think he will be a great dad. Can't wait to get some updated pics, they really grow fast.
big_smile.png

Here is my Muscovy duck taking her 10 ducklings for a walk in the duck pen. They are 3 days old today. Another Chocolate duck has just gone broody on 19 eggs. I watched the drake during the little excursion and he didn't even look at them but I will be watching him.
wink.png
I know the ducklings change color alot as they grow but I think there are 2 chocolates & whites there. As daddy is a chocolate carrier and some of the eggs are from my chocolate girl.

Here is my Muscovy duck taking her 10 ducklings for a walk in the duck pen. They are 3 days old today. Another Chocolate duck has just gone broody on 19 eggs. I watched the drake during the little excursion and he didn't even look at them but I will be watching him.
wink.png
I know the ducklings change color alot as they grow but I think there are 2 chocolates & whites there. As daddy is a chocolate carrier and some of the eggs are from my chocolate girl.

They look great zook.

Back
Top Bottom