The brutal love of backyard and show poultry

DeanBaugh

Chirping
Apr 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm a bit worried and the reason is I am starting up at trade school this coming up school year and I am worried I will have problems keeping up with my 30 chickens 13 ducks 3 rabbits 3 quail so I am thinking about selling my flock I know what I can manage but I don't want to get in over my head so I can't pick what birds I want to keep because I will feel selfish if they miss their fellow coop mates so what my plan is I'm keeping my ducks surprisingly there the least amount of work since they mostly free-range and what do I charge for all my other show birds that I have worked really hard with and they would have to keep some that until after fair since they are my 4h projects but that's only 2 chickens then the ducks

I have no advice for you. Sounds like you're well on your way to working out what is best for you.

A few things you've probably already considered... Is there someone you trust who can keep your other birds for you while you study or maybe someone in 4H that you know will care for the birds as you would? I would want mine to stay together also and to know they are cared for by someone who knows how to care for them well. I can't advise on price because I've never bought or sold show birds.

Best of luck to you as you sort it all out!

I have no advice for you. Sounds like you're well on your way to working out what is best for you.

A few things you've probably already considered... Is there someone you trust who can keep your other birds for you while you study or maybe someone in 4H that you know will care for the birds as you would? I would want mine to stay together also and to know they are cared for by someone who knows how to care for them well. I can't advise on price because I've never bought or sold show birds.

Best of luck to you as you sort it all out!
thank you I may have a few people but 30 chickens is a lot to ask someone to have I will probably split them up in groups by breeds

Back
Top Bottom