The Buckeye Thread

Good answer! And something to consider, for sure. Myself, I would still probably choose the heavier bird, but as of right now my primary goal is meat for my family. I may or may not show (if I do we're talking 2 years down the road at the earliest) ever. For now anyway, if I never produce a single show quality bird I'm sure I will still be just as happy with my buckeyes. But I would like to at least make a meager attempt to breed to the standard. Otherwise, I'd probably be just as happy with any barnyard mutt bred with an eye toward meat production.

I plan to have 2 roosters in my flock. We decided to keep 4 cockerels and let them grow out a bit more before making our final decision about which 2 to keep. 3 of them were the biggest. The fourth one is one of the smaller of the 9 cockerels we hatched this summer, but has (in my inexperienced opinion) the best color. He may not have the size I'm looking for, but I figure it might be nice to keep him around a bit even if for no other reason than to remind myself of the color I want to achieve. On the other hand, almost all of the pullets with the best color are sitting in my freezer right now because they were also the very smallest of the hatch. The girls all seemed fairly similar in type to me, so we pretty much went based on weights for them and culled the smallest ones.
I started out same, not sure I wanted to show them, but still wanting to make an attempt to breed to the standard. I picked the Buckeye for many reasons but especially because they make a nice table bird. My niece is joining 4H and really wants to show them. Now I am glad that I studied the SOP before picking my starter Buckeyes. Just know that there are really good colored birds that the right size and weight.

That is a long time. What breed? What have you noticed about any genetic drift? I have always wanted to keep it to a minimum.

I like to use old hens in my breeding. I believe the success I have had at showing has been using some of these old hens in my breeding pens.

The Ancona. I started with single comb straight run chicks from Murray McMurray , and not too long ago, added rose comb birds from Fred Zillich which were the ones I mentioned blending into my flock. Because the rose comb variety is so rare, I have since purchased some started birds from Joseph Marquette at Yellow House Farm and when Sam Brush had some for sale they ended up here. They're marked with yellow and red legbands and after a short time in isolation were turned out to range with the yard flock. When I initially crossed my old birds with the ones from Fred I was amazed at how they seemed to be able to magically pull faults out of thin air when neither line seemed to have them. Narrow tails, wonky tail sets, dropped wings, "paint splatter" markings, some beak 'issues'. The reality of course is that both lines had those faults all along, but they weren't likely to see the light of day until they were paired with another bird that carried them. OTOH, I think I have maybe one trio of single comb (pet) birds left, so I guess I was successful at switching the comb type.
lol.png
All in all, they are a lovely breed just to have out in the yard.

I do alot of linebreeding with all the breeds I have, so I also like to use old hens. (old roosters too if they're up to it.)
wink.png
I prefer to have birds that will lay well and be thrifty for many years rather than a flash in the pan that will burn out before it's two.

Buffalogal, I'm playing catch-up on this thread, and saw that you mentioned you were going to post a picture of a Dominique/Buckeye cross bird you have -- I would really like to see that picture! I'm trying to decide what direction to go with my flock. Right now I have some (hatchery) Golden-laced Wyandottes and Black Australorps. I'm trying to decide between Buckeyes, Dominiques, RC Red Dorkings, and Chanteclers to replace what I have. My birds are for utility, eggs and meat, and need to have rose, pea, or cushion combs.

Thanks!

Kathleen
Here you go: I call him "Baby Big Ben". His sire was a Buckeye and his mother was a Dominique.

Melody:

This male

sired this:

Interesting, huh?
I hope you don't mind me asking about these pictures since they came up again. Should Buckeyes have that bend in their necks and fluffy thighs? Also, I thought the standard says 40 degrees for a male's tail, isn't that considered type? (I know you mentioned before that your primary focus is on type.)
Since we know there is no perfect bird, maybe you could help list the positive/negative traits on this one that you selected for and how they improved the one below. Also, do you have a picture of the hen from this mating and the females produced?

HappyBuckeye, how about you put up some photos of your birds. We haven't seen yours yet.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
HappyBuckeye, how about you put up some photos of your birds. We haven't seen yours yet.
Sure KnittyChickadee, I would be happy to. In the morning, I will try to get the best shots of my Buckeyes, but I ask that you do the same. See I'm here to learn from all you experienced breeders. As I said before, selecting for show quality stock is not something I've ever done before, so I've been studying the SoP and have been asking lots of questions.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the F1 of a Buckeye x Dom cross has so much red in the feathers. Here are the cockerels from my Buckeye x Barred rock cross.

Back
Top Bottom