The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. HappyBuckeye

HappyBuckeye Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013

2. HappyBuckeye

Nov 16, 2013
    Yes, I guess that's exactly what I do as well. I am learning that talking about one's interpretation of the SoP is like talking about one's politics or religion. Thanks for sharing.

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    nevermind

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I whole heartedly agree, cgmccary - I, too would have picked C #2. I wish you'd have left your choice blank & taken a survey. Just for curiosity's sake. THEN AGAIN - I do not have this breed, I've just been reading on them in this thread, and they have piqued my interest. So of course MY opinion holds no water, since I don't have a red/mahogany bird on my property. [​IMG] I do very much appreciate your thoughts, here!

5. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

Nice discussion. Picking good quality stock to start with and knowing all of the SOP is best. My interpretation may be different from my mentors but we discuss and come up with a good game plan.

:)

1 person likes this.
  6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Great discussion, and I am in agreement - I breed Black Copper Marans; the females should have copper hackles. If I use a cock bird that I show to breed with, that cock bird will have a solid black chest; but, his female offspring will either be solid black, or only have one or two copper hackle feathers. Thus, the cock in my breed pen has - [​IMG] - about 10% copper feathers in his breast. (of course that's a color issue, not a type issue, but a good example of this discussion, I think).

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota

1 person likes this.
  8. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

Excellent example Wynette!! That's exactly what I was driving at :)

9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Good answer! And something to consider, for sure. Myself, I would still probably choose the heavier bird, but as of right now my primary goal is meat for my family. I may or may not show (if I do we're talking 2 years down the road at the earliest) ever. For now anyway, if I never produce a single show quality bird I'm sure I will still be just as happy with my buckeyes. But I would like to at least make a meager attempt to breed to the standard. Otherwise, I'd probably be just as happy with any barnyard mutt bred with an eye toward meat production.

I plan to have 2 roosters in my flock. We decided to keep 4 cockerels and let them grow out a bit more before making our final decision about which 2 to keep. 3 of them were the biggest. The fourth one is one of the smaller of the 9 cockerels we hatched this summer, but has (in my inexperienced opinion) the best color. He may not have the size I'm looking for, but I figure it might be nice to keep him around a bit even if for no other reason than to remind myself of the color I want to achieve. On the other hand, almost all of the pullets with the best color are sitting in my freezer right now because they were also the very smallest of the hatch. The girls all seemed fairly similar in type to me, so we pretty much went based on weights for them and culled the smallest ones.

1 person likes this.
  10. HappyBuckeye

Nov 16, 2013
    I started out same, not sure I wanted to show them, but still wanting to make an attempt to breed to the standard. I picked the Buckeye for many reasons but especially because they make a nice table bird. My niece is joining 4H and really wants to show them. Now I am glad that I studied the SOP before picking my starter Buckeyes. Just know that there are really good colored birds that the right size and weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by