The Buckeye Thread

Connersville Indiana  

LOL I was there. Yes, it was a great weekend for Buckeyes in Connersville IN.

Congratulations to BlueFace aka Joe Shumaker for taking Reserve Champion American with his Buckeye Pullet.

We all had fun and it was nice seeing Indiana and Ohio faces I've not seen in awhile.

Thanks Sarah

This bird didn't get a second look at the ON, was actually told that she wasn't worth the ink to put on a cage card?!?! Goes to show that not all judges see the breed the same. This is what the old pictures show the breed to be. The best pullet at the ON had a pillow puff on her back with a flat tail...this bird weighs a solid 6 lbs with a full chest and body with great undercolor but the judge didn't even take the time to take her out of the cage to actually feel her at the ON, he made his decision by just looking at her?!?! I guess her not being all fluff was a turn off? Don't ever allow one person's opinion dictate the quality a bird is. Nettie Metcalf desired tighter feathered buckeyes.

I was blessed this year with my best show year to date. I advanced 5 of 8 shows, earned 2 Grand Champion LF, 1 Reserve Grand Champion LF,1 Reserve Super Grand Champion of Show and a Reserve Champion American this year with 3 different Buckeyes. I also got this in the mail last weekend.

Last edited:
I was blessed this year with my best show year to date. I advanced 5 of 8 shows, earned 2 Grand Champion LF, 1 Reserve Grand Champion LF,1 Reserve Super Grand Champion and a Reserve Champion American this year with 3 different Buckeyes. I also got this in the mail last weekend.

Congratulations! 2014 was a great year for the Buckeye, thanks to your hard work and perseverance. Nettie would've been proud to see her "mongrels" do so well. It's lovely to see a pullet winning as well and about time we got one for the girls, hey?
wink.png
Looking forward to the 2015 show season, I think it's going to be a great year.

Thanks Sarah

This bird didn't get a second look at the ON, was actually told that she wasn't worth the ink to put on a cage card?!?! Goes to show that not all judges see the breed the same. This is what the old pictures show the breed to be. The best pullet at the ON had a pillow puff on her back with a flat tail...this bird weighs a solid 6 lbs with a full chest and body with great undercolor but the judge didn't even take the time to take her out of the cage to actually feel her at the ON, he made his decision by just looking at her?!?! I guess her not being all fluff was a turn off? Don't ever allow one person's opinion dictate the quality a bird is. Nettie Metcalf desired tighter feathered buckeyes.

I was blessed this year with my best show year to date. I advanced 5 of 8 shows, earned 2 Grand Champion LF, 1 Reserve Grand Champion LF,1 Reserve Super Grand Champion of Show and a Reserve Champion American this year with 3 different Buckeyes. I also got this in the mail last weekend.

The Master Exhibitor ranking is even more impressive if you look at the points that it took to accomplish this in an short amount of time.

All of the points were from Buckeye wins except for one Aseel rooster at ON several years ago.

To me this shows what you've accomplished for the Buckeye in a short amount of time.

Congrats you worked hard and received the recognition you deserved.

Congrats Joe! And Sidney and the rest of the girls too. You have done well to spotlight the Buckeye breed. Your birds are beautiful. You have inspired many. Thank you for your continued dedication to the breed and the aspirations of a woman over a century ago.

I have a feeling we will see both male and female Buckeyes in the spotlight for years to come. I appreciate all of the members here who associate with this thread. Whether you are a breeder, a fancier, or just like pretty birds in general, it's a pleasure to be a part of this group of people who enjoy this breed as much as I do.

Thanks guys; for the most part breeding, raising and showing buckeyes has been great! I've had a wonderful time meeting new people and sharing Nettie's vision of the breed. I've made some great friends :) There will always be debate surrounding the buckeye but the good thing is that more people are seeing through the buzz words and recognizing the differences between utility/backyard buckeyes and the buckeyes that follow closer to the standard description.

Does anyone know of someone who will have around 5 show quality hens for sale cheap that I could pick up at the West Central Poultry Club show in March?

Back
Top Bottom