The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

A63DDAA6-D45F-40B5-BC1C-7F1CAF1E0E00.jpeg
E1852EE9-C709-4AF5-BD76-B1C0C41C63F6.jpeg

When we picked up the mini today, he had to show me grandma’s yard bunny!!!! His name is Harvey and he’s been hanging around for about a year. 🥰🥰🥰

I got a rabbit in March this year. He came to us as a foster, but he's such a sweet little guy, we couldn't let him go. His name is Chili. I think he is a Polish Dwarf, or a Polish Dwarf mix.

(He doesn't live in that little cage. He lives in a play pen, and gets to free roam during the day. In his previous home, he was kept in a small cage, so that's what he's used to. It's kind of his comfort zone, and he likes to sleep in there during the day.)

2315.jpeg

2318.jpeg

Chili is not my first bunny. I had one growing up named Angelina. She was an absolute darling, and everyone in my family adored her. She was almost 9 years old when she passed away.

We also have another bunny in the house, named Chumly. He is a foster. He's a very friendly Lionhead/Dutch mix. He is harness trained, so I take him outside to run around in the grass. He's already been in 4 different homes, so we're looking for someone very special to take him, who will love him for the rest of his life.

IMG_20210627_132017098_HDR.jpg

how did the vet go today?
It went well! Everyone was very nice there and the doctor seems knowledgeable; he even said he used to own a pet rabbit. I think on their website it said he's more of an exotic vet or at least studied/practiced that area. They still had covid restrictions and so we couldn't come inside, but we dropped him off and then the vet came out to talk to us.

Lion does have an ear infection in both ears, and right now we're treating him with drops for a week which hopefully will make it go away. After that we have a check-up with the vet to see what's next. If it's a middle-ear infection and the drops don't do anything, we'll have to put him on oral antibiotics like last time...which won't be fun lol. We had to syringe feed I seem to recall and Lion doesn't like it at all. Maybe we can sneak it in a treat, I don't know. He's very very stubborn when it comes to medicine.

Lion himself is doing fine though! Wobbly but not too off balance which is good. I think he's starting to get a bit of a head tilt to the left, although the vet said it was worse in the right ear actually. But because he had an ear infection before and it was worse in the left ear, it could be affecting him there worse because of that.

OK, I need help. My dog dug up a cottontail nest in the middle of my raised bed garden area. She killed one baby before I got there. The bunny mom saw all of it and ran off. The nest can't stay there for numerous reasons, least of which is the level of sanitation I prefer for my food. We fixed the fence hole. I have read that I could only move the nest 2-10 feet away and it would need to be 50 feet away to be out of the garden.

Now I have 5 babies. I judge them to be about 6-8 days old. Fully furred, ears open, eyes closed.

I know the chances of their survival (10%?). I just want to know if any of you have had success with raising them in the past. What might work? Kitten replacer milk with my own rabbit's cecotrophes? Feed them 2-3 times a day?

OK, I need help. My dog dug up a cottontail nest in the middle of my raised bed garden area. She killed one baby before I got there. The bunny mom saw all of it and ran off. The nest can't stay there for numerous reasons, least of which is the level of sanitation I prefer for my food. We fixed the fence hole. I have read that I could only move the nest 2-10 feet away and it would need to be 50 feet away to be out of the garden.

Now I have 5 babies. I judge them to be about 6-8 days old. Fully furred, ears open, eyes closed.

I know the chances of their survival (10%?). I just want to know if any of you have had success with raising them in the past. What might work? Kitten replacer milk with my own rabbit's cecotrophes? Feed them 2-3 times a day?
I used to raise baby rabbits myself, I was a rabbit breeder. However, I usually let the mother rabbit do all the work, so I have no experience with your situation. I’m certain somebody else will chime in and give you the information you need.

I’ll start doing research for you.

OK, I did some research. Best thing to do is to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. You should contact the animals in distress association, tell them your situation, and see if they have a location near you.

I had to do this once before with a male mallard I found that was injured. Took him there, and he was nursed back to health.

They know what to do to help the babies survive.

Definitely take them to a wildlife rehabilitation center. They'll know how to raise them.

I would take them to an animal rehabilitator if possible. They'll have the best chance of survival there and they'll know how to survive in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom