The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

OK, I need help. My dog dug up a cottontail nest in the middle of my raised bed garden area. She killed one baby before I got there. The bunny mom saw all of it and ran off. The nest can't stay there for numerous reasons, least of which is the level of sanitation I prefer for my food. We fixed the fence hole. I have read that I could only move the nest 2-10 feet away and it would need to be 50 feet away to be out of the garden.

Now I have 5 babies. I judge them to be about 6-8 days old. Fully furred, ears open, eyes closed.

I know the chances of their survival (10%?). I just want to know if any of you have had success with raising them in the past. What might work? Kitten replacer milk with my own rabbit's cecotrophes? Feed them 2-3 times a day?
Here's some feeding instructions that I've copied from an article
Age + Amount (This WILL vary depending on type of rabbit.) Use KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) for domestics and Meyenberg Goat Milk, regular not low fat for wild ones,or KMR. Add a pinch of acidophilus (AKA Probiotic capsules) to all formula to promote healthy gut flora. Other formulas vary depending on the region of the country. Avoid using Esbilac or any puppy formulas or cow’s milk. Do not add Karo syrup. FEED TWICE A DAY ONLY unless baby is low weight, than three times.

Newborn to One Week: 2 – 2+1/2 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings).
1-2 weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings).
(depending on bunny..may be much LESS if smaller rabbit).
2-3 weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Bunnies whose eyes are still CLOSED need to be stimulated to urinate and defecate before or after each feeding. Again, seek a professional on this. Domestic eyes open at about 10 days of age. Then start introducing them to timothy and oat hay, pellets and water (always add fresh greens for wild ones–dandelion greens, parsley, carrot tops, grated carrots, all fresh, watered down). See below for detail.
3-6 weeks: 13-15 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings–again, may be LESS depending on size of rabbit! A cottontail will take so much LESS–about half of this!.)

768695CE57794FD2BE573769D2CC3F34.jpg

@EverythingDucks @HappyClucker7 @jnicholes
Ok, I have calls and messages into the rehab places - I heard that this time of year they are inundated with baby buns and tend to not take them anyway. So, while I wait, I have been attempting to feed them with kitten replacer and a small part heavy whipping cream. I am giving them one of my bun's cecotropes, so I think the gut thing should be ok until the rehab center calls.

They're all still alive. Their bellies seem full. I have been stimulating for peeing at about 80% success. I am not sure how much food gets into their bellies and how much on the towel. I hope they get better.

Meanwhile - I have two litters of pedigreed Hollands due Monday and Tuesday :thI sincerely hope my does don't leave me with any projects from their babies! Whew!

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Ok, I have calls and messages into the rehab places - I heard that this time of year they are inundated with baby buns and tend to not take them anyway. So, while I wait, I have been attempting to feed them with kitten replacer and a small part heavy whipping cream. I am giving them one of my bun's cecotropes, so I think the gut thing should be ok until the rehab center calls.

They're all still alive. Their bellies seem full. I have been stimulating for peeing at about 80% success. I am not sure how much food gets into their bellies and how much on the towel. I hope they get better.

Meanwhile - I have two litters of pedigreed Hollands due Monday and Tuesday :thI sincerely hope my does don't leave me with any projects from their babies! Whew!

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

No thoughts right now, sounds like you are doing everything right.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
Everything sounds good to me. You're doing a great job.
Be sure to get some pics for us!

Back
Top Bottom