The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

That’s what I was thinking about trying. Do you have a pic?
CBFB59B6-7173-4EC7-92E4-526798825CDD.jpeg
1E2B1FF3-9BC3-4EFD-AEBA-EF533C15CAA8.jpeg

It's really impossible to tell, when it comes right down to it. Both english spot and dwarf hotot are rare breeds and unlikely to end up in a mixed breed rabbit. They look an awful lot like a charlie marked rabbit too;

67116-265602-l.jpg

Charlie marked mini rex

required1.jpg

English spot rabbit

But we can 100% say it's a lionhead mix. It has the lionhead gene and only one breed has ever had the lionhead gene and it's lionheads.

brc-bred-broken-black-charlie-lionhead-buck-55840f0da0438.jpg

Baby broken lionhead (purebred). Pure lionheads have long fur and are very puffy all over. Yours is not purebred.

6872307.jpg

Lionhead/Netherland dwarf mix. Mix breed lionheads have some tuftiness around the head/hips but are otherwise normal. The long fur gets thinner the older they get.

No real way to know what it's mixed with but cute as heck. Lionhead mixes are VERY popular pets.

Ok cool. Thanks! I knew she wasn’t pure anything (not that it matters). I figured she was a lionhead mix because that’s the only one with the long facial hair I could find online. But I’m no expert, so thought I’d ask in case there was an there kind. I love th at she is an “everyday looking” bunny with a funky combover. 🤣
Thanks!

Lol, thanks for the confidence. Definitely a lionhead mix, no other rabbit has those tufts.

Could be a hotot but looking at those barely-visible spots on its back my guess would be English Spot or maybe even a mini rex with too much white.
Good eye. barely is the key word, LOL! I had to go back and squint to see them. They show up much better in the second picture.

Does anyone here keep their bunnies in an outdoor pen on the ground?

Yep! We have large ground pens on dirt with shavings. My old hutches are in the pen, and expecting mamas are locked in at day 28 until they’re nursing well. It’s a colony setup. Two does are bred at the same time (usually a newbie and a vet). At 7 weeks the kits are separated by sex. Papa enjoys the social company, and all can see each other at all times. I do breeding in a temporary fenced portion of the buck run, so the hormones don’t make any of the boys go bonkers. But we butcher between 11-12 weeks.

I don’t know if this would work with every breed, but my silver foxes are chill for the most part. I only rotate bucks for genetic diversity though; adding a new doe to a colony is way too much drama for me.

The only thing I really want to add is more rain protection. It’s been a highly soggy winter and I find the rabbits stay in the hutches or the hay barn on rainy days. This spring I hope to make a 40’x8’ lean-to on the windward side of the run.

Back
Top Bottom