The Butterfly Effect Hobby Farm

How high are you planning on making your raised beds? I had 3 4’x10’ raised beds at my last house in the city, they were 12” deep. Because they were low I had difficulty reaching into the center for weeding (I always felt off balance). I am thinking of making my next ones either only 3 feet wide, or significantly higher, so they are easier to work with as I get older. Can’t waitfor pics!

How high are you planning on making your raised beds? I had 3 4’x10’ raised beds at my last house in the city, they were 12” deep. Because they were low I had difficulty reaching into the center for weeding (I always felt off balance). I am thinking of making my next ones either only 3 feet wide, or significantly higher, so they are easier to work with as I get older. Can’t waitfor pics!

Kris, this first one is my test. I went with 4' wide because that is what I kept reading was the reasonably width to reach into. As far as the depth that is what I am going to play with. As they say, "Opposites attract"... well that's the truth with my SO and I. I am 6'2 and she is 5'3" (on tippy toes). Finding one that's comfortable for both will be difficult. So we may wind up varying.

I know that my garlic bed(s) will be lower than the vegetable beds. Next weekend I will share what I work out. (after helping someone move) Sunday I guess will be building day.

Hope you have a great weekend too!!

@itsasmallfarm I agree with you. I will take pictures of the front yard here soon and discuss plans. Our front yard is a north facing slope which is perfect for where we will plant fruit trees. More than likely in that dreaded linear method, but the difference there is that it makes sense.

I look forward to seeing your outdoor pizza oven :drool. mmmm pizza cooked in a wood fired stove.

Thank you for joining me on this journey, I appreciate people being here as it helps me document the journey and helping me overcome my past of not documenting things. :th

I'm shocked they got that big! The ones here have terrifyingly shallow root systems due to being in a line too close together "not my doing!"
Nature is slowly but surely becoming my lumberjack, everytime one falls i'm a little happier.:)
I learned something about myself after we purchased the property. I really really really dislike tress planted in straight lines. (to those of you that do.. I apologize I guess I should say I really dislike it on my property). Unfortunately our property had it in droves.
We had 7 Eastern Red Cedar trees planted 9 feet apart that started about 12 feet from the manufactured house.

View attachment 1655917

This is the line after I had cut down two of the trees closest to the house and also the two that were blocking sunlight a then mystery grapevine.

Well they don't quite do that, iv'e lost a storage shed to one already.
Second one managed to miss everything, only ten or so to go.:fl

The 22 Pines have a potential of taking out a 16'x16' shed. Part of me sort of wants them too.... as I don't like where it's placed. If it survives I am going to look moving it to a better spot. I have my fingers crossed the last 10 or so miss everything important for you Chickassan.

Back
Top Bottom