The Butterfly Effect Hobby Farm

I feel for you, we have several huge Douglas Fir snags in our lambing area, three have dropped in the last two years in nasty windstorms. The last one took a dormer off of our large barn, the one before that took out the power line to the barn and a gate, the first one took out a large chunk of fencing and a outdoor lamb pen. Three more to go!

They are too big to safely drop with all the buildings (professional arborist with 20 years logging experience’s opinion, not mine!), they are all dead. Once 30-40 feet of length comes down our tree guy will deal with the remainder, usually just for the decent rounds of firewood!

Happy Monday all.

This weekend I started out with the knowledge that I couldn't repeat last weekend's workload. That was also emphasized quickly during the morning when my muscles started to ache a lot earlier in the day than they had previously. However I stuck to my big goals and over the weekend got them done. I took down the last of the cedar's in the line :yesss: That alone was a big checkmark on my list. It now makes a huge difference. Once I get the trunks moved (which is too much for me to do solo right now). It will really clean up the view. I took out the other half of the pecan tree that was in the back. I had one pine that had been cut off the base but was being held up, so I had to notch cut it twice to lower it enough so I could have it fall. Cleaned up those two trees and then the only other goal I had was one 25' pine tree that was in the line of pines that will be removed this week. I wanted to clear that one so that they would take out one more pine in the line.
20190202_155133.jpg

Were the trees maybe the property's windbreak? Cedar trees are the best thing to use for that and it would explain them being in a straight line?

The cedars don't seem to be a windbreak as they were going in the wrong direction and would have only protected the shed, which was added much after the cedars were planted. The pines could have been placed as a possible wind break but honestly at this age they don't really do much to break up the wind and are more of a risk than a help.

Both lines only provided shade, but to a place where I wouldn't want shade and can't understand what good it did.

All I can say is I am ecstatic that the cedars are gone. It opens up the area and allows sunlight to hit the pecan tree and allows us to eventually get the grape vine trellis to go in the right direction and add more grape vines.

The next two shots are simply a sunset shot of the pine trees (symbolic of their last few days here on the farm). Also these are the 4 girls that came up to the electric fence to see what I was doing. Love these girls.View attachment 1663394 View attachment 1663395

Taking the cedars out really opens things up!

Are the goats yours? We used to raise goats when we lived in FL, cute little rascals.

Taking the cedars out really opens things up!

Are the goats yours? We used to raise goats when we lived in FL, cute little rascals.

Hey there N F C, Yes it really opened up things. Once the pine trees are down I am going to investigate how to move the 16x16 storage shed to another place that makes much more sense. I will then fix it up and do some repairs to it. That will too open things up even more.

My next door neighbor's property dog legs behind our property which opens up to a 2+ acre pasture (not sure exactly how large but definitely over 2 acres). They have these 4 goats there. So for now we get to enjoy 4 cute goats without any cost ;) It is truly enjoyable watching them play and run around.

We may eventually get goats too. I want to taste fresh goat milk to see if that works for me.

Hey there N F C, Yes it really opened up things. Once the pine trees are down I am going to investigate how to move the 16x16 storage shed to another place that makes much more sense. I will then fix it up and do some repairs to it. That will too open things up even more.

My next door neighbor's property dog legs behind our property which opens up to a 2+ acre pasture (not sure exactly how large but definitely over 2 acres). They have these 4 goats there. So for now we get to enjoy 4 cute goats without any cost ;) It is truly enjoyable watching them play and run around.

We may eventually get goats too. I want to taste fresh goat milk to see if that works for me.

Nice to be able to enjoy the neighbor's goats without the upkeep. One of the biggest expense we had with ours was fencing...lots and lots of fencing!

Woot. Just heard from the tree guys. They are coming tomorrow!! So I will be away from my computer for most of the day. Hoping to film as much as I can. Of course some before and after shots. I can't wait. Tonight I am going to be like a kid on the night before christmas. I am so excited to see the end results. Happy day.:wee

I can read your excitement! Tomorrow is going to be a busy day...looking forward to seeing your pictures/film!

Back
Top Bottom