The chick who took FOREVER to hatch. Updated: photo

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Yes, I have a chick here who took more than a month to hatch. Long, complicated story. I put eggs in the nest, hen decided she wants to lay her own, thank you and carried on laying, spending a bit of time during the day and the nights on the nest. This was from 23 January. She sat/laid like this for the next 18 days, then I accidentally added her sister's eggs, on 11 February, which I thought my son removed from her nest, which added the total eggs to 22! 17 February one of the eggs I wanted her to hatch hatched, the next day another one hatched. 02 March the first of her eggs hatched, 06 March the 2nd of her eggs hatched, both chicks survived. We then lost a few newborns and the next 2 chicks arrived 16 March, one died the same day, the next one the next day, it was terrible! I left the eggs, lost more chicks... Left the eggs, she still wasn't really sitting, I was raising her chicks, she didn't want them. On the 30th of March another egg hatched. I sat with the little surprise chick for hours that night and I said to my husband if this one makes it I'm calling it Joy. After all the losses, we needed to save just one more chick. Well, Joy is still alive. She's teeny tiny, very spoiled and absolutely adored. We are just wondering if she'll ever grow to full size? I'll post a pic when I'm more familiar with this forum. I think we might've bred the world's first miniature chicken.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Very interesting story!
big_smile.png

uh it aint the worlds first mini chicken.
idunno.gif
we call those bantams. i breed em all the time
big_smile.png
gig.gif
lau.gif
ya.gif

Joy makes my mother-in-law's bantams look big! We joke about her size, but we're a bit worried, she probably won't grow into a normal size chicken ever, but could this physical challenge cause problems for her in future? Her brother is 24 days older than her and he's now easily six times bigger! What do you guys think?
I'll post some pics a.s.a.p.

Back
Top Bottom