The Chickens Haven't Been Laying Since Last Spring Help me Out Here

Also, have you ever wormed them? With what?

If you want to try the red pepper thing, just get regular ground cayenne in the spice section. Mix it in the feed generously; they don't feel the heat. Turn the feed a slightly red or rusty color with it.

Quote:
Hmmmmmm....

OK, let's talk feed. How much of each? And treats? What kind and how much? Do they ever free range? Oyster shell and grit?

Haven't fed them oystershell in awhile. Treats: Carrots, grapes, tomatoes, and others that I know they are aloud to eat. For the feed we have these metal feed "dishes" that we carry the food from the garage and out it in their runs.

I dont think it is the feed. My chickens eat everything in the world and except in winter have steady egg laying. They free range, corn, BOSS, wheat sprouts, rabbit feed the rabbits spill plus the occasional mouse they find. And flock raiser

Last edited:
Quote:
But what quantity? Are treats more than 10% of their diet? Do they have feed available at all times, or at least at all times while it is light out?

Quote:
But what quantity? Are treats more than 10% of their diet? Do they have feed available at all times, or at least at all times while it is light out?

Good thinking. I wish I had thought of that!!!!
tongue.png

First, "culling" means simply removing an animal from the group for whatever reason you find it undesireable. Removing. Not necessarily killing.

You could "cull" by giving it away or selling it. Or you could cull by processing and eating it.

Second, I feel your pain. I have 13 laying age hens at the moment, and a quail hen. The quail hen is out-laying EVERYONE. The next is my BR who is going with every other day at the moment. All others are freeloading.

I know what I did wrong though. I gave them too much scratch feed. They ate it instead of the laying crumbles and now I'm having to straighten them back out. They are not happy about their scratch going bye bye, though.

Good luck to the both of us in 2011!

Quote:

The treats are given rarely but maybe a little more than 10%. Whenever I notice their feed is low I get them more. For the quantity of the food, I really can't say how much but it takes them about 2 days to finish their food. Tell me if I need to be more descriptive. If it helps do you want me to take a pic of what we put the food in?

BigDaddy'sGurl :

First, "culling" means simply removing an animal from the group for whatever reason you find it undesireable. Removing. Not necessarily killing.

You could "cull" by giving it away or selling it. Or you could cull by processing and eating it.

Second, I feel your pain. I have 13 laying age hens at the moment, and a quail hen. The quail hen is out-laying EVERYONE. The next is my BR who is going with every other day at the moment. All others are freeloading.

I know what I did wrong though. I gave them too much scratch feed. They ate it instead of the laying crumbles and now I'm having to straighten them back out. They are not happy about their scratch going bye bye, though.
Good luck to the both of us in 2011!

Are you saying that too much scratch will make them not lay or they just preferd the scratch? Layer pellets don't "make" them lay. It just boost the protein in the egg.​

Quote:
Are you saying that too much scratch will make them not lay or they just preferd the scratch? Layer pellets don't "make" them lay. It just boost the protein in the egg.

I know you aren't asking me, but I would like to chime in. Eggs are protein. When you add scratch to the total feed, you decrease the protein %.

Back
Top Bottom