The Chickens Haven't Been Laying Since Last Spring Help me Out Here

Quote:
Are you saying that too much scratch will make them not lay or they just preferd the scratch? Layer pellets don't "make" them lay. It just boost the protein in the egg.

I know you aren't asking me, but I would like to chime in. Eggs are protein. When you add scratch to the total feed, you decrease the protein %.

Took the words outta my mouth, lol.

Chickensaresweet is right. And this time of the year, a lot of their protein is being used to maintain body temp in the cold, so if they are filling up on scratch, which typically has <10% protein, and not on the grower or layer feed, which has more like 16-21% protein, they are not consuming enough protein to actually produce an egg on a regular basis.

So for a start should I reduce the scratch I give them? That could be a reason they are not laying but I highly doubt that is the main reason.

Quote:
No, the point is that they shouldn't run out. If they are eating it then they can get at it, so it doesn't matter what it's in. I can't really tell you how much mine eat, either -- but I can tell you I have only let them empty their feeders maybe 3 times in nearly 4 years -- and then I felt badly, and it was only part of a day.

So, be sure they don't run out, and hold off on the scratch for a while. Layer is OK for maintenance though really it's not a lot of protein; if your flock raiser is much higher in protein than your layer, maybe give that a while, or more of it than the layer. If you've been giving them more than a handful of scratch a day, that could be the whole problem, as it's usually about 7% or 8% protein. Some people feed a feed like flock raiser exclusively to their layers, and keep oyster shell available, for the calcium. I do this when I have young chicks as they are all together.

They will certainly stop laying if their nutritional needs aren't being met. I'm sure this wasn't your intention, but I suspect it is the problem.

Quote:
No, the point is that they shouldn't run out. If they are eating it then they can get at it, so it doesn't matter what it's in. I can't really tell you how much mine eat, either -- but I can tell you I have only let them empty their feeders maybe 3 times in nearly 4 years -- and then I felt badly, and it was only part of a day.

So, be sure they don't run out, and hold off on the scratch for a while. Layer is OK for maintenance though really it's not a lot of protein; if your flock raiser is much higher in protein than your layer, maybe give that a while, or more of it than the layer. If you've been giving them more than a handful of scratch a day, that could be the whole problem, as it's usually about 7% or 8% protein. Some people feed a feed like flock raiser exclusively to their layers, and keep oyster shell available, for the calcium. I do this when I have young chicks as they are all together.

They will certainly stop laying if their nutritional needs aren't being met. I'm sure this wasn't your intention, but I suspect it is the problem.

Good to know thanks.

Quote:
Some claim that it does. I've never tried it and I've never seen any studies that indicate it is so. But then I haven't looked for them either.

Wow, Maxx. I don't know much about nutrition, but I'll share what I do know and what I do for my chickens.

I free-feed layer pellets - and they eat a lot!
Oyster is available at all times.
Granite is available free choice.

I feed no scratch (just because they really don't need it as a part of a healthy diet - but they do LOVE it and will eat a ton of it given the opportunity....taking up tummy space that would be better filled with high-quality nutrition).

They get "treats" in the form of any kitchen leftovers that we have...but it's not a high volume. The also get some cat food once or twice a week (enought for each chicken to get a few kibbles).

I'm sorry I'm not much help - and I'm sorry you are having this trouble! Maybe with the increased light coming our way, they will begin laying well for you again!

If you have older hens in there, I bet they are eating the eggs. Once they start, everyone starts, and they will scarf up an egg in seconds.

Back
Top Bottom