The Chickens of Farm Up North

So, turns out I need to take and sort some updated photos of the new chicks, but here are the newbies up to 9 weeks old. Ignore the numbers on the two-week-old photos, that was when I was trying to figure out who was who.

Darkaness - BSL
Week1.2.jpg
20210608_063859.jpg

2 Weeks 9 Weeks

The best one of this batch of chicks, she was the first to be friendly. Named “Darkaness” by my four-year-old, pronounced just as it is spelled. She seems smart, and is quick to run to the defense of any other chick who distress squawks when we pick them up.

Foofy Cheekz - Easter Egger

Week1.1.jpg

2 Weeks

20210602_062809.jpg

9 Weeks

Originally just called her Foofy Cheekz as a placeholder, but it's kind of stuck. She's typical to how all of my Easter Eggers seem to be, which is flighty . She has beautiful iridescent black feathers and is very soft.

Gilda - Golden Comet

Week1.4.jpg

2 Weeks

20210602_062934.jpg

9 Weeks

Named by my husband, and she is his favorite. She enjoys being picked up and carried around, occasionally napping on us. Just the sweetest chicken, and I love her golden feathers.

Little - Double Laced Barnevelder

Week1.3.jpg

2 Weeks

20210602_062925.jpg

9 Weeks

I was pretty sure that Little wasn't going to make it to adulthood. She had a rough time as a chick, and I thought was going to be a "failure to Thrive". She has pulled through, and you would never know now that she had any trouble at all. She's also very pretty, and I will post updated photos soon of her at 13 weeks.

Luna - Black Star

Week.jpg

2 Weeks

20210602_062952.jpg

9 Weeks

Luna is a pretty mellow chicken. I could tell her apart from her sister, Darkaness, by the white under her chin as a chick. As a pullet, she has less brown than her sister.

Olive Eggers #1 and #2

Week1.3.jpg

#1 - Week 2
20210602_063218.jpg

#1 - Week 9

Week1.3.jpg

#2 - Week 2

20210602_063343.jpg

#2 - Week 9

These guys are both very "Help, there's a Murderer! I'm being MUUUURDERRED!" whenever I pick them up, so I have yet to decide on what sort of dramatic names that I want for them. I also need them to feather out a bit more so that it's easier to tell them apart.

Pecky Becky - Easter Egger

Week1.3.jpg

Week 2

20210602_063416.jpg

Week 8

I was pretty sure she was going to be a sneaky rooster, but turns out she really is a pullet. Up until yesterday, she did not have a name. My four-year-old suddenly decided that her name should be Pecky Becky, and I couldn't not name her that.

Silly Sylvia - Barred Plymouth Rock

Week1.1.jpg

2 Weeks

20210602_062608.jpg

9 Weeks

Also named by my daughter, who seems to be partial to alliterative names. I liked Nora so much that I decided I had to have another BPR. Sylvia is a bit flightier, but still pretty smart and occasionally tries to fly up and perch on us.

Sunflower - Salmon Faverolles

Week1.3.jpg

Week 2

20210602_062650.jpg

Week 9

Sunflower is very much a hatchery-grade Faverolles, but still has that slightly quirky personality that I liked so much in Wrecking Ball. She does have some bent toes on her right foot that I will need to keep an eye on for nail trimming and such.

The Old Ladies – My Remaining Five –Year-olds

View attachment 2753235
Some of the OG group. Left to right: Monster, Sentinel, Nameless, Pretty Tail, Regina, Wrecking Ball, Nora, Cathy, Daria, Wynona, Dizzy.

Nora – Barred Plymouth Rock
View attachment 2753241
I had treats on the ground and she was not about getting her photo taken when there were wormies to be had.

Nora is my favorite. She was always the smartest chick, and let me pick her up and carry her around until she got older and then decided she didn’t want to hang with Mom anymore. She still lays eggs every two or three days, but lately they have been kind of bizarre. I feel like she will probably stop completely this year.

Dizzy – Buckeye
View attachment 2753242
Dizzy was named so by my husband because she could never seem to figure out how to fly up onto the roost. She has since figured it out, but the name stays. I THINK she still lays?

Jane – Buff Brahma
View attachment 2753243
Nothing much to say about Jane. She’s fluffy, she’s pretty, she exists. I don’t think she lays any eggs, and may never have done so. I’m pretty sure her head is filled with elevator music.

Sentry – Golden Laced Cochin
View attachment 2753256
Sentry is the softest chicken. She also talks nonstop. Her favorite phrase is Buuuuuuur Burk Burk Burk. She lays a medium-sized egg every other day or so, but refuses to lay in a nesting box and instead just lets ‘em drop from her spot on the roost.

Sentinel – Golden Laced Cochin
View attachment 2753257
Sentinel and Sentry were named because they used to be the last into the coop at night, preferring to stand on either side of the ramp like little guards until everyone else was in. Sentinel lays a medium-sized egg still with a shell that is so thick it hurts my fingers to peel. She goes broody just about as soon as she can, and usually stays so all darn summer. I try to break her of it, but she is insistent. She looks like a basketball with feathers.

Regina George – Easter Egger
View attachment 2753260
Regina is secretly one of my favorites because she is just ridiculous. When the chicks were two weeks old, I moved them out to the garage and I swear she has never forgiven me. Shortly after the move, she would peck at my hands every time I went into the brooder to clean, and so earned her name for being a “mean girl”. I have seen her fight sticks. She used to growl at me every time I went into the coop. As of December-ish of last year (2020), though, she is suddenly mild-mannered. I don’t know what brought about the change, but I am not above suspecting it’s all a ruse to get me complacent and then she will peck my face when I get close enough to her while cleaning the coop or something.
You have some beautiful healthy looking chickens. Welcome and thankyou for sharing 😊

Back
Top Bottom