The chickens of the Sunshine Motel!

Pics
tsk tsk, you have to deal with him tiny things,I is having a hard time taking him seriously, running off into the sunset, head fuff flapping majesticaly in the wind
:lau
Don't forget, the littles are equally ridiculous!

My 10x10 run blew apart in the wind, so I am looking into commissioning a more sturdy one, maybe more like a 10x12. Nardole makes the little coop crowded!

I am thinking the 4x4 coop makes an excellent brooder box, but a less than perfect big bird coop. I need to make some adjustments to accommodate Chicken Math!

It's been 24 hours since Nardole was put in with the littles, and he is not amused. He wants to tidbit! He wants to roost together! He wants to stand guard while they do chick things!

They want to stay as far away from him as possible.
View attachment 1642941 View attachment 1642942 View attachment 1642943
He is really very gentle for a cockerel. He will be a year old in February, and will OFFICIALLY be a mature Rooster!
That poor, wonderful guy.... he just can’t catch a break!
I wish there was some way that you could make all those ungrateful biddies understand just how GREAT he truly is:rant
I adore him:love:love:love

New chicks ordered!
Screenshot_20190117-213558_Chrome.jpg

The polish are going to go in with Nardole, the 'meal maker' mystery chick and the Wyandottes will go into the big coop, and I am undecided about the maran. Probably with Nardole, as that will be an enclosed run and she is expensive lol.

So, there will be 11 or 12 hens for Nardole!

New chicks ordered!
View attachment 1645313
The polish are going to go in with Nardole, the 'meal maker' mystery chick and the Wyandottes will go into the big coop, and I am undecided about the maran. Probably with Nardole, as that will be an enclosed run and she is expensive lol.

So, there will be 11 or 12 hens for Nardole!

I am very happy for him. He has earned his own flock.

A proper nasty nor'easter is blowing in. Temperature: 0
Wind: howling
Snow: accumulating.
Hatches: battened down.
If I didn't live on top of a $#%@%!%@% hill I would probably be fine, but I DO live on a hill, and it is absolutely miserable.
The chickens hid in their calf hutch all day. They have fresh ashes in the dust bath, and some straw to scratch in. Thankfully, I planned ahead and put the bigger of the two hutches at such an angle that not a bit of snow has made it in so far. I also arranged some pallets to act as a windbreak/snow fence.
20190119_152311.jpg

Nardole and the littles? I just covered the entire thing, coop and all, with a giant tarp. No drafts on MY little babies!
They also get straw to scratch in.
20190119_152425.jpg

WELP 3 of my littles have frost bite!
All of the polish. It's a shame because I juuuuust found a possible home for Zoe, but I can't send him away unable to walk! All three are living in a dog crate in my living room for now, and probably for the next month.
20190122_234142.jpg

20190122_171617.jpg

Peri is the worst off, I think. Both feet affected, and she was essentially dead when I found her. She got stuck outside the coop for what looks like most of the night in sub-zero temperatures. I am concerned for her feet, but more worried about a respiratory infection. Keeping a close eye on her. She can't walk at all, and seems in a lot of pain, but is still eating and drinking.
20190122_162739.jpg

20190122_162809.jpg

Zoe is almost certainly going to loose a toe or two on one foot. The other looks ok. Eating and drinking well.
20190122_211027.jpg

20190122_220438.jpg

Victoria is a little bit up in the air. She was lethargic and dull all of yesterday, and seems a little better this morning but just not quite right. She is walking, and her feet look ok, but she definitely has something going on. Possibly a brewing respiratory infection? Something else? Frostbite with slightly different symptoms?? Who knows, but of the three, she looks the best, mostly because she can walk.
20190122_220441.jpg

Nardole and Yaz are fortunately happy alone in the coop. Yaz has even been cozying up to Nardole at night!

If anyone ever said an 11 month cockerel could happily and peacefully live in a small coop with a 3 month old pullet, I wouldn't believe him, but this Good Boy hasn't been anything but polite!
20190123_080149.jpg

WELP 3 of my littles have frost bite!
All of the polish. It's a shame because I juuuuust found a possible home for Zoe, but I can't send him away unable to walk! All three are living in a dog crate in my living room for now, and probably for the next month.
View attachment 1650841
View attachment 1650837
Peri is the worst off, I think. Both feet affected, and she was essentially dead when I found her. She got stuck outside the coop for what looks like most of the night in sub-zero temperatures. I am concerned for her feet, but more worried about a respiratory infection. Keeping a close eye on her. She can't walk at all, and seems in a lot of pain, but is still eating and drinking.
View attachment 1650845
View attachment 1650833

Zoe is almost certainly going to loose a toe or two on one foot. The other looks ok. Eating and drinking well.
View attachment 1650842
View attachment 1650840
Victoria is a little bit up in the air. She was lethargic and dull all of yesterday, and seems a little better this morning but just not quite right. She is walking, and her feet look ok, but she definitely has something going on. Possibly a brewing respiratory infection? Something else? Frostbite with slightly different symptoms?? Who knows, but of the three, she looks the best, mostly because she can walk.
View attachment 1650825

Nardole and Yaz are fortunately happy alone in the coop. Yaz has even been cozying up to Nardole at night!

If anyone ever said an 11 month cockerel could happily and peacefully live in a small coop with a 3 month old pullet, I wouldn't believe him, but this Good Boy hasn't been anything but polite!
View attachment 1650847

I'm glad Nardole has a friend and they are doing well. You are doing well with the others. We are praying for the best outcome possible.

Back
Top Bottom