*The City of San Diego, California - Chicken and Gamebird / Fowl Law*

Hello everyone,
I am a resident of La Mesa and I am starting a campaign to ask the city to change the fowl ordinance. Currently the ordinance states that anyone with a lot of 15000 sq ft or more can have 25 hens. My eight year old daughter and I have a long list of things we are doing to try and get this changed, it helps a lot that it is already drafted into the new general plan for the city except it will be at least another year until that plan is approved. We would like this changed asap as we have just been asked by the city to get rid of our six hens. We don't want to. But I would like some input as you all seem very knowledgeable about what a reasonable ordinance should require and I would like to have a sample one written up to submit to the city so they know exactly what I am hoping for. But I am not sure what is reasonable for me to request. I have read through the city of san diego and santee's new municipal code and what their restrictions are and I am finding that I don't like some of the restrictions for sq footage required for each bird, the number of birds per square foot of property, and that the birds are not allowed to be free range. I really want to let my birds roam, I have a 12,000 sq ft lot with a lot of bugs and weeds and I love letting them roam around. It seems that keeping them in a run all day will take away one of the major benefits of having them, pest and weed control. Also the san diego one states that each bird needs 6 sq ft of space each in the coop and 10 each in the run. That seems like a lot. Thoughts? I am pretty new to chicken raising so I don't really know.

Here is what I think would be reasonable

1 bird per 1000 sq ft with fully enclosed, water tight, weather proof, ventilated chicken coop at least 15 ft from residential houses. No roosters, breeding or slaughtering. No requirements on chicken run, although this last one might be asking too much. Is there any way I can ask for free range time? I really don't want a chicken run in my back yard!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we are preparing a letter to the city tonight and tomorrow. Thanks!
Libby

Chris, since I now have my 5 chicks, a coop, and a run, I am more than a bit nervous to get involved in trying to get the ordinance changed! You know, bringing attention to myself. Would love to sign a petition, etc, but I guess i need to find someone else to spearhead it. I wonder if it would be pretty straightforward since San Diego changed theirs?
Shifra

I suspect I am late to the party and that you have already sent your letter... but in case you haven't I don't think I would push the free range thing I would just get the ordinance passed to allow chickens & then let my birds free range in my fenced yard or range in a moveable pen. If ever caught & questioned I might be "in the middle of cleaning out the coop & run". (I realize as a parent of a 10 and 12 year old that this is case of a fine line between stretching the truth and outright lying....but one I'm willing to do?). I'm in San Diego but pretty sure they won't check up on people's coops & square footage for compliance - just if they get a complaint from a neighbor?

For ordinance stuff this site is pretty informative: http://www.chicken-revolution.com/

Best of luck!!

I love backyardchickens.com!! Thanks for all the great info
bow.gif

We were rudely awaken this morning by a "CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER" from the County of San Diego YAY
somad.gif
We have had our feathered friends for about a year now, no problems besides a few surprise roosters which have been relocated to greener grass. About 9 months ago my neighbor had his son, daughter in-law and baby move in. That same weekend, we received our first complaint (they came over) about our dogs. We had come to an agreement and the problem had been solved. Now they found something else to complain about.
This morning we were told we had two weeks to move our coop or we will be fined! Thanks for coming to us first!! I have been looking at rules/laws/ordinance etc to see what our rights are. My other neighbors have two horses (FCOL) We live in Lakeside which is unincorporated county and it states:

Unincorporated San Diego: From 10 to 100 chickens in the county's unincorporated areas, depending on the size of the property. Up to 25 chickens are allowed in most residential areas. Coops also are required.

Now my question is, how far does the coop have to be from neighboring homes or property line?

We were told "the coop has to be 10' feet away from the property line". Can someone please help us?! I will not let him win by making us get rid our our sassy hens!

Sincerely,
ruffled feathers

Last edited:
Assuming you don't have any cc&r's that restrict chickens, the set back rules can be found here http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/dplu/docs/444.pdf

If you know your APN number for your property you can look up your zoning and see just how many chickens you are allowed to have and you are correct that in most places it is 25.

The setback 10 feet from the rear and 15 feet from the side lot lines for most properties so you will probably have to move your coop. Even if you move your coop a measly 10 feet, your neighbors probably won't notice any difference. Sorry you are having problems with your picky neighbors, I've always found Lakeside people to be pretty tolerant of animals. Depending on your lot size if you are allowed chickens you should also be allowed at least one rooster so your neighbors should be thanking you for not keeping any roosters instead of complaining about the hens.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in eventually trying to raise a few (i.e. three) egg laying hens in my backyard, and stumbled upon this thread. I've been reading my way through this thread, but just wanted to confirm (sorry if this has been beaten to death!). I live in Clairemont Mesa (City of SD) in a single family home, with a moderately sized backyard. Based on Chris in South Park and MissusC's posts, I am under the impression that it is legal for me to raise up to 5 hens in a backyard coop, with 6 sqft of room per chicken, provided it is 5 feet or more away from my fence line.

I'm just a little surprised that something like this is legal, and although I just now stumbled upon this forum and this thread, I just wanted to say it is awesome to see how you guys lobbied the local government about this! That's exactly the way local government is supposed to work, and I love seeing it when it works out.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in eventually trying to raise a few (i.e. three) egg laying hens in my backyard, and stumbled upon this thread. I've been reading my way through this thread, but just wanted to confirm (sorry if this has been beaten to death!). I live in Clairemont Mesa (City of SD) in a single family home, with a moderately sized backyard. Based on Chris in South Park and MissusC's posts, I am under the impression that it is legal for me to raise up to 5 hens in a backyard coop, with 6 sqft of room per chicken, provided it is 5 feet or more away from my fence line.

I'm just a little surprised that something like this is legal, and although I just now stumbled upon this forum and this thread, I just wanted to say it is awesome to see how you guys lobbied the local government about this! That's exactly the way local government is supposed to work, and I love seeing it when it works out.

Yup, most definitely legal.
welcome-byc.gif

Here's the local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384942/san-diego-chicken-meetup-and-chat-thread/7380

Last edited:
I need help getting a permit for "therapy" chickens. I live in a mobile home but own the land that I sit on. I live in an HOA and we are considered "condos". We live in El Cajon, but are governed by the County of San Diego.

I have had chickens in the past but the HOA made me get rid of them. The chickens really helped with my depression and other medical issues. I think that I can get a prescription from my doctor for "therapy" chickens, but my HOA wants a permit. Can you help me??

Sincerely,
Inga King
619-312-2369

i plan to move spring valley ca does anyone know the laws for having gamefowl. or chickens or hens or how many

Back
Top Bottom