The Cochin Condo - Edited 10/23/11 - DONE (enough)!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    This project started around June 26th and here we are, almost two months later and I am finally going to post it on the forum because we are almost done!

The story is on my BYC page, along with more pictures and a half of an explanation as to why it's just not to this stage. I'll give you the gist of it quickly, though. I got three Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins as a start to my own project from Erin (Msbear) on June 18th. I took my time drawing out coop options and finally came up with a 4x8 double coop to house my Cochins. It started with a 18" high run on the ground, a 2' to almost 4 1/2' inside area. I then added a half 2nd floor and placed the roost bar higher than that for a total of 4 levels. The entire build is a little over 6' with enough room for about 8 or 9 bantam Cochins on each side. I will eventually be building 4x8' runs to attach to the front of the coop.

I am down to attaching the roofing, making the side doors, attaching wheels and hardware, attaching hardware cloth to the bottom and painting! There are some other small things I should do, like raise the inside ramp edges to keep the bedding in. I should also make a small edge on the 1/2 floor to keep bedding up there, too.

Here's the most up to date picture, taken about 4hrs ago!

[​IMG]

We're so close! I can't wait to get the Cochins in it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    looks great.... and I completely understand how things can take longer than they should...but your reward will be sweet! [​IMG]

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    OMG - 3 months and 18 days later...

IT'S DONE! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the interior now that's it's done:
    [​IMG]

And here's the way I decided to do the doors:
    [​IMG]
    * Please see my BYC page to see the rest of the pictures! *

I will be putting plastic over the screen in the winter. Of course, I plan on making plywood inserts that will be held in with the screen window/door twist things I am using on the doors now. I just don't have the plywood to tackle that at the moment.

I need an ice, cold beer...

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looking good!! [​IMG]

5. PoemSpinner

PoemSpinner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Very awesome coop!

6. wava1vaughn